HSROC: Treatment Guide: Consultation
The consultation is your first visit with your physician. After checking in with a patient service specialist, a member of the nursing staff will escort you to the clinic area. This visit is an opportunity for discussion of treatment options and expectations with your physician. This is the time to ask questions and it is often helpful to write down important questions and bring those to your consultation. Please come prepared with your medications, medical history information, and insurance cards.
Your Treatment Team
- Radiation Oncologist- as the team leader for your cancer care, each physician is specially trained to treat you with radiation.
- Radiation Physicist- the Physicist works closely with the Dosimetrist to develop your specialized treatment plan and performs quality assurance procedures daily, ensuring the radiation treatment machines are working properly.
- Dosimetrist- a medical Dosimetrist assists the radiation oncologist in developing your treatment plan. Each plan is uniquely tailored for tumor size and location. Our Dosimetrists are certified by the Medical Dosimetry Certification Board.
- Radiation Therapist- educated in physics and radiology, the radiation therapist operates the treatment machines and positions you for treatment. All radiation therapists at our facility are certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- Radiation Oncology Nurses- All of our radiation oncology registered nurses have extensive training in cancer care and hold a chemotherapy certification. They are always available to address your questions or concerns and provide educational sessions about treatment, side effects, nutrition, and support services offered.