Comprised of nine academic programs, the Department of Clinical & Diagnostic Sciences (full website) provides training for tomorrow's health care professionals from nurse anesthetists, genetic counselors to nuclear medicine technologists. Students receive hands-on training from renowned faculty while using the tools to prepare them for a career in the health care industry.
The accrediting agencies for programs offered by the School of Health Professions are:
- Accreditation Review Committee on Education Programs for the Physician Assistant, Inc.
- Commissionon on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
The UAB School of Health Professions, Respiratory Therapy Program
is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for
Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com).
Commission on Accreditation
for Respiratory Care
CoARC Board Approved 11-13-2010 48
1248 Harwood Road
Bedford, Texas 76021-4244
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs in collaboration with
- Cytotechnology Programs Review Committee of the American Society of Cytopathology
- Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Clinical Laboratory Sciences, M.S.C.L.S.
There is a need for medical technologists/clincal laboratory scientists in a variety of areas including chemistry, microbiology, hematology and laboratory management. Read more...
Work with pathologists and microscopically evaluate various cell samples to detect microorganisms, cancer, and related diseases. Read more...
Genetic Counseling, M.S.
Only program in Alabama, genetic counselors help people understand and adapt to the medical, psychological and familial implications of genetic contributions to disease. Read more...
Medical Technology, B.S.
Medical technologists, professionals in very high demand, play a key role in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and manage clinical laboratories. Read more...
Nuclear Medicine Technology, B.S.
Using a variety of radiation detection equipment and computers to acquire and process data to aid physicians in diagnosing disease and monitoring therapy. Read more...
Respiratory Therapy, B.S.
Respiratory therapists work with physicians and other health professionals to diagnose and treat patients with disorders associated with the respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Read more...
Physician Assistant, M.S.P.A.S.
A physician assistant is qualified to assist in all aspects of patient care including operating room assistance, performing physical examinations, post operative patient management, and much more. Read more...