The SHP Honors Program provides an opportunity for students in professional degree programs to develop leadership skills to prepare them for careers in health care. The coursework will enhance their individual program's curriculum by offering interdisciplinary seminars focusing on research, leadership, and communication skills. Honors students also will work with a faculty mentor in their discipline on a scholarly project.
- Students must be currently enrolled in one of SHP's undergraduate professional degree programs
- Students must have achieved a GPA of 3.25 for their last 60 credit hours and have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00
- Students must be recommended by their program director
- Students must have a letter of support from the faculty member who will mentor the student for the honors project
- As an honors student, you will be required to complete 6 credit hours of SHP Honors Program coursework. This will include 2 semester hours of Honors Seminars and 4 semester hours in Honors Project credits. In some programs these credits may be in addition to your normally required degree requirements.
- During the fall semester you are required to register for the Honors Seminar I (HRP 401/501) course. During the following spring term you will be required to sign up for the Honors Seminar II (HRP 402/502) course. You and your faculty mentor will decide when you will start working on your scholarly project and how your 4 semester hours of Honors Project (HRP 410/510) credits will be spread out. The only requirement associated with the HRP 410/510 credits are that they be spread over at least 2 semesters.
HRP 401/501 Honors Seminar I Introduction to leadership principles with emphasis on group dynamics, negotiating, conflict management, and decision making models. Skills development in public speaking and presentations. 1.00 hour
HRP 402/502 Honors Seminar II Advanced leadership principles and introduction to scientific research processes. Skill development in information searching, information critiquing, and proposal writing techniques. 1.00 hour
HRP 410/510 Honors Project Development and completion of a researchable project for presentation and publication under the direction of a faculty mentor. Two to four terms required for a minimum accumulation of 4 semester hours. Written research paper submitted and grades assigned upon completion of the 4 semester hours. 1.00 - 3.00 hours
The honors experience is designed to develop confidence and skill in team-based problem solving and analysis, leadership in health care settings, and oral and written communication skills. Students will graduate with school-wide honors, and may receive up to six credits of 500 level graduate coursework.
For additional information on the SHP Honors program contact:
Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Honors and Research
Director, B.S. in Biomedical Sciences Program
Phone: (205) 934-7635
1720 2nd Avenue S.
Birmingham, AL 35294-1212