UAB School of Health Professions Current News
- Created on November 19, 2012
The holidays officially begin on Thanksgiving and don’t stop until the New Year. That means gatherings with family and friends and the chance to pack on some unwanted pounds from dinners and parties for the next month or so.
EatRight by UAB Program Director and Registered Dietitan Lindsey Lee, RD, LD, gives you some tips on how to watch your waistline during the holidays.
- Survey the entire Thanksgiving meal options before you serve your plate! Choose foods that have different colors, textures, temperatures, and flavors.
- Do not skip meals. Skipping breakfast or lunch before a big holiday dinner actually may cause you to overeat.
- Challenge: Create a new family tradition this Thanksgiving that doesn’t involve cooking or eating. Get active with a family hike or a flag football game!
- Increase your exercise on Thanksgiving Day! Walk at least 10,000 steps to burn off those extra calories.
- Congregate outside of the kitchen or dining room. Find a comfortable spot across the room and focus on your friends and family instead of eating.
- Drop out of the “Clean Plate Club”! Leave a few bites behind every time you eat. A few bites of rich food can be a couple hundred calories!