UAB School of Health Professions Current News
- Created on October 28, 2011
You don’t have to look very far to find one of the “nine hot college majors” ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Health Information Management (HIM), in the UAB Department of Health Services Administration, is ranked fourth on the list as being a huge need in the industry.
- Created on October 26, 2011
Debra Laken, CRT, RRT, AE-C, has been named a nominee for the “Best of the 2011 Respiratory Care” by RT Magazine. She was one of 75 respiratory therapy professional nominated across the country that work for either a private health care facility or teach at a university. Laken is a professor for the UAB Respiratory Therapy program. RT Magazine annually profiles the industry’s top respiratory care professionals.
- Created on October 15, 2011
Harry A. Nurkin, PhD, former healthcare executive and UAB Department of Health Services Administration faculty member, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer on October 13, 2011.
- Created on October 12, 2011
The investigational anti-obesity compound known as controlled-release (CR) phentermine/topiramate may prevent progression to type 2 diabetes in obese patients who are prediabetic, said W. Timothy Garvey, M.D., chair of the UAB Department of Nutrition Sciences. More of his study can be read on Renal & Urology News.
- Created on October 07, 2011
University of Alabama at Birmingham researcher Rohit Pradhan, Ph.D.The acquisition and sale of nursing homes by private-equity firms is a decade-long trend that may reduce the quality of care, says
Pradhan, a fellow in the Department of Health Services Administration in the UAB School of Health Professions, received a grant from the National Institute on Aging to study the implications of such transactions.
- Created on October 05, 2011
- Created on September 28, 2011
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) wanted a documentary style video to promote oral health in primary care facilities. The University of Alabama at Birmingham was prominently featured on the video teaser including our own Physician Assistant Program Director Pat Jennings,DrPh, PA-C, faculty member Kara Caruthers, MSPAS, PA-C, student Felipe Valencia, along with UAB Dentist Jeff Hill and UAB patient Chris Cantrell. The full documentary will be shown at the NCCPA's conference.
- SHP faculty & staff relive 9/11
- Shaw receives highest award from state PT group
- Cold mice might be skewing weight loss drug studies
- Earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years
- Chandler-Laney joins Nutrition faculty
- OT alum comes back to teach
- HSA professor helps build national IT curriculum
- New Rehabilitation Science doctoral program offered at SHP
- Lowering Fat Intake Might Stave Off Diabetes Even Without Weight Loss
- Demark-Wahnefried named to IOM forum