UAB School of Health Professions Current News
- Created on December 01, 2011
- Created on November 30, 2011
In a tough economy, deciding which college major can make the difference of whether or not you find a job when you graduate. The Wall Street Journal found the top 10 most employable majors. One of those majors is in the UAB School of Health Professions (SHP).
- Created on November 21, 2011
If you don’t know the answer to these and other family health questions, this holiday season is the perfect time to mine for information from both sides of your family on your family’s health history, says UAB Genetic Counselor Lynn Holt.
- Created on November 18, 2011
UAB alumni Tom and Janet Hicks began working in China as physicians in 1996. They have seen steady progress in the quality of care provided during the past 15 years, but there is much more that needs to be done — especially in physical therapy.
So the Hickses invited a team of physicians, nurses and other health-care providers to China. As a result, an interdisciplinary team of eight people — six with UAB ties — spent a week in Lanzhou, China, this past summer. Part of their mission was to teach physical therapy techniques to health-care providers at a hospital and nursing home. They also lectured on the state of practice in trauma/burns ICU, pediatric critical care and laparoscopic surgery.
- Created on November 08, 2011
It was a tight race, but Nuclear Medicine Technology student Damien Milton won the inaugural "SHP's Biggest UAB Fan" contest. He barely beat out Sarah Calamusa by receiving the most "likes" or votes on the SHP's Facebook page. Dean Haorld Jones presented Milton, a senior, a "big check" for his $250 book scholarship for the spring 2012 semester.
- Created on November 07, 2011
- Created on October 28, 2011
You don’t have to look very far to find one of the “nine hot college majors” ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Health Information Management (HIM), in the UAB Department of Health Services Administration, is ranked fourth on the list as being a huge need in the industry.
- Created on October 26, 2011
Debra Laken, CRT, RRT, AE-C, has been named a nominee for the “Best of the 2011 Respiratory Care” by RT Magazine. She was one of 75 respiratory therapy professional nominated across the country that work for either a private health care facility or teach at a university. Laken is a professor for the UAB Respiratory Therapy program. RT Magazine annually profiles the industry’s top respiratory care professionals.
- Created on October 15, 2011
Harry A. Nurkin, PhD, former healthcare executive and UAB Department of Health Services Administration faculty member, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer on October 13, 2011.
- Anti-obesity combo may prevent diabetes in obese patients
- Has quality of care diminished in private nursing homes?
- Four of the top 10 best health careers offered at SHP
- PA faculty and student featured in documentary
- Granger named AARC Fellow
- Kitchin: Why Weight Watchers works
- SHP faculty & staff relive 9/11
- Shaw receives highest award from state PT group
- Cold mice might be skewing weight loss drug studies
- Earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years