UAB School of Health Professions Current News
- Created on October 05, 2011
- Created on September 28, 2011
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) wanted a documentary style video to promote oral health in primary care facilities. The University of Alabama at Birmingham was prominently featured on the video teaser including our own Physician Assistant Program Director Pat Jennings,DrPh, PA-C, faculty member Kara Caruthers, MSPAS, PA-C, student Felipe Valencia, along with UAB Dentist Jeff Hill and UAB patient Chris Cantrell. The full documentary will be shown at the NCCPA's conference.
- Created on September 15, 2011
Wesley M. Granger, Ph.D., RRT, has been selected as a Fellow of the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC). He is the director of the UAB Respiratory Therapy program and associate professor.
- Created on September 09, 2011
Although it’s been 10 years, Jon and Kathy Nugent remember the sight of soldiers at every corner, the sounds of military jets flying above and the smell of smoke as if it was yesterday. The couple was living in the city of New York when 9/11 happened.
Kathy, now director of the UAB Biotechnology program, remembers what a beautiful morning it was as she got ready to fly out for a day meeting in Raleigh, N.C. She and Jon both worked for a consulting firm in New York in an office across from the Empire State Building. Kathy spoke to her mom before boarding the plane and turned off her cell phone.
- Created on September 06, 2011
UAB Department of Physical Therapy Chair Sharon Shaw, PT, DrPH, received the Marilyn Gossman Professionalism in Physical Therapy Award from the Alabama Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association. This is considered the chapter’s most prestigious honor to recognize a member demonstrating outstanding professionalism in any of the areas of physical therapy service, practice, education and/or research.
- Created on August 30, 2011
Animals or people burn calories in an effort to keep warm, and room temperature may be affecting the testing and development of weight-loss drugs, says University of Alabama at Birmingham researcher Daniel Smith, Ph.D.
Smith, an instructor in the Department of Nutrition Sciences, received a 2011 Early-Career Research Grants from The Obesity Society for his proposal to examine the affect of room temperature on obesity-related drug effects in mice.
- Created on August 05, 2011
How would you like to graduate with a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in five years instead of more than six? It’s possible with the Fast OT program in the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Health Professions. The program allows students to earn a Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management in three years and a Master of Science in Occupational Therapy in two years.
- Created on July 25, 2011
The UAB Department of Nutrition Sciences announces the addition of faculty member Paula C. Chandler-Laney, Ph.D. She transferred from a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Nutrition Sciences to an assistant professor. She earned a B.A. in psychology from the University of Auckland, in her native country, New Zealand. She went on to complete a B.S. in psychology at UAB in 2000. In 2006, she completed her Ph.D. in behavioral neuroscience at UAB.
- OT alum comes back to teach
- HSA professor helps build national IT curriculum
- New Rehabilitation Science doctoral program offered at SHP
- Lowering Fat Intake Might Stave Off Diabetes Even Without Weight Loss
- Demark-Wahnefried named to IOM forum
- Nutrition Sciences professor receives grant for potential links of childhood fat and breast cancer
- UAB Occupational Therapists Will Conduct Research in First Multi Sensory Environment in Birmingham
- SHP Students & Faculty Volunteer During Relief Efforts
- Watch "Japan, Chernobyl, Alabama: What You Need to Know About Radiation" Forum
- Houser Named to Institute of Medicine Committee