UAB School of Health Professions Current News
- Created on October 12, 2011
The investigational anti-obesity compound known as controlled-release (CR) phentermine/topiramate may prevent progression to type 2 diabetes in obese patients who are prediabetic, said W. Timothy Garvey, M.D., chair of the UAB Department of Nutrition Sciences. More of his study can be read on Renal & Urology News.
- Created on October 07, 2011
University of Alabama at Birmingham researcher Rohit Pradhan, Ph.D.The acquisition and sale of nursing homes by private-equity firms is a decade-long trend that may reduce the quality of care, says
Pradhan, a fellow in the Department of Health Services Administration in the UAB School of Health Professions, received a grant from the National Institute on Aging to study the implications of such transactions.
- Created on October 05, 2011
- Created on September 28, 2011
The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) wanted a documentary style video to promote oral health in primary care facilities. The University of Alabama at Birmingham was prominently featured on the video teaser including our own Physician Assistant Program Director Pat Jennings,DrPh, PA-C, faculty member Kara Caruthers, MSPAS, PA-C, student Felipe Valencia, along with UAB Dentist Jeff Hill and UAB patient Chris Cantrell. The full documentary will be shown at the NCCPA's conference.
- Created on September 09, 2011
Although it’s been 10 years, Jon and Kathy Nugent remember the sight of soldiers at every corner, the sounds of military jets flying above and the smell of smoke as if it was yesterday. The couple was living in the city of New York when 9/11 happened.
Kathy, now director of the UAB Biotechnology program, remembers what a beautiful morning it was as she got ready to fly out for a day meeting in Raleigh, N.C. She and Jon both worked for a consulting firm in New York in an office across from the Empire State Building. Kathy spoke to her mom before boarding the plane and turned off her cell phone.
- Created on September 06, 2011
UAB Department of Physical Therapy Chair Sharon Shaw, PT, DrPH, received the Marilyn Gossman Professionalism in Physical Therapy Award from the Alabama Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association. This is considered the chapter’s most prestigious honor to recognize a member demonstrating outstanding professionalism in any of the areas of physical therapy service, practice, education and/or research.
- Created on August 30, 2011
Animals or people burn calories in an effort to keep warm, and room temperature may be affecting the testing and development of weight-loss drugs, says University of Alabama at Birmingham researcher Daniel Smith, Ph.D.
Smith, an instructor in the Department of Nutrition Sciences, received a 2011 Early-Career Research Grants from The Obesity Society for his proposal to examine the affect of room temperature on obesity-related drug effects in mice.
- Earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years
- Chandler-Laney joins Nutrition faculty
- OT alum comes back to teach
- HSA professor helps build national IT curriculum
- New Rehabilitation Science doctoral program offered at SHP
- Lowering Fat Intake Might Stave Off Diabetes Even Without Weight Loss
- Demark-Wahnefried named to IOM forum
- Nutrition Sciences professor receives grant for potential links of childhood fat and breast cancer
- UAB Occupational Therapists Will Conduct Research in First Multi Sensory Environment in Birmingham
- SHP Students & Faculty Volunteer During Relief Efforts