Requirements for Admission: Students are eligible for admission to the professional program only in the fall term of the junior year after completion of the prerequisites with a minimum of 60 semester hours, exclusive of physical education.
All candidates must satisfy the following requirements:
- have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.6 (A=4.0),
- have a minimum grade of C in each course in the UAB/Program Core Curriculum and in the HIM Core Curriculum,
- be accepted by the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and
- if accepted, complete the UAB medical history questionnaire and physical, provide proof of required immunizations, and receive satisfactory screening by the UAB Medical Center Student Health Service.
Application Procedure: The following materials must be submitted.
To the UAB Undergraduate Admissions Office:
- completed UAB undergraduate application form, indicating pre-health information management as the major, and application fee, if applicable (if enrolled at UAB in another major, complete a Change of School/Major Request indicating pre-health information management as the major; form available from the Office of Registration and Academic Records), and
- official transcripts from each college or university attended.
To the Health Information Management Program Office, School of Health Professions:
- current transcript
- completed application to the professional phase of the program (form available from the program office or click here)
- Email or mail this completed application to:
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management Program
1705 University Boulevard, School of Health Professions Building, Room 580A
Birmingham, Alabama, 35294-1212
Telephone: (205) 934-4599