All applications to the MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track - Dietetic Internship are made through a centralized application process called DICAS and a corresponding digital match process via D & D Digital. Please click this link to learn more about the application and admissions process.
The UAB MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track - Dietetic Internship program accepts a total of 25 interns annually. These positions are distributed between the on- and off-campus programs:
- Birmingham: 16 interns
- Mobile: 4 interns
- Montgomery: 3 interns
- Huntsville: 2 interns
The UAB Dietetic Internship participates in the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) and online computer matching through D&D Digital. Students who are matched to the UAB Dietetic Internship program will THEN apply to the Graduate School.
Friday, December 2, 2016
10:00 – 11:30 a.m. Open House Presentation
School of Health Professions Building, Room 226
1705 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35233
11:30 – 12:30 p.m. UAB Medical Center Tour
Not able to attend in person?
Please join the Open House Presentation virtually from your computer, tablet, or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/164538525
You can also dial in using your phone: United States +1 (872) 245-3311
Access Code: 163-038-525
• DICAS Application Deadline for fall 2017 Internship Admission: February 15, 2017
• Information about DICAS application procedure and fees is available at http://www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442485425.
Consult https://portal.dicas.org to access the DICAS online centralized internship application.
- Send all application materials (except GRE scores) directly to DICAS.
- Submit official GRE or MAT test scores to the UAB Graduate School
- GRE Institution Code: 1856
- MAT Institution Code: 1017
International Applicants Only
- Submit official TOEFL test score (for international applicants only) to UAB Graduate School
- Institution code: 1856
- Mail Financial Affidavit of Support (for international applicants only) to:
UAB Graduate School LHL G03
1720 2nd Ave South
Birmingham, Al 35294 – 0013
- Applicants must submit the UAB Dietetic Internship Supplemental Application (PDF) to UAB Dietetic Internship Program Director by February 15, 2017.
Carleton Rivers, MS, RDN
Dietetic Internship Program Director
Department of Nutrition Sciences, UAB
1720 2nd Avenue S
Birmingham, AL 35294-3360
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching at D&D Digital and select dietetic internship priority choices by February 15, 2017.
- D&D Digital UAB On-Campus Program code: 301
- D&D Digital UAB Off-Campus Program code: 442
- Students that are matched to the UAB Dietetic Internship and accept their position on April 3, 2017 will THEN apply to the UAB Graduate School.
- Review MS in Nutrition Sciences application checklist: http://www.uab.edu/graduate/images/acrobat/checklist/nutritionscience-ms.pdf
- Complete the UAB graduate school application by June 1: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=uab-grad
- By August 1, enrolled students must complete required immunizations, drug screening, and background check.
- Immunization Requirements: http://www.uab.edu/studenthealth/immunizations/level-3
- Drug Screening and Background Check Requirements: http://www.uab.edu/studenthealth/medical-clearance/school-of-health-professions
The criteria for admission in good standing:
- Completion of a ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) or completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the United States AND satisfactory completion of DPD requirements from an accredited program.
- Not less than 3.0 GPA overall (4.0 = A) over the last 60 semester hours of earned credit.
- A minimum combined score between 297 - 310 on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination General Test plus minimum score of 3.5 on the GRE Writing Assessment Test, OR a score of 410 on the Miller Analogies Test.
- In instances where applicants do not meet the principal GPA and/or GRE or MAT requirements for admission, they may be considered for probationary admission.
Students who are competitive for the MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track - Dietetic Internship have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.2 and GRE score (verbal + quantitative) of 300. Every part of the DICAS application and the UAB Dietetic Internship/MS Degree Supplemental Application is used in the selection process and is reviewed by a committee composed of internship and clinical faculty.
If you do not qualify for this program, we have a different track that might meet your professional goals, please click here to review the Lifestyle Management and Disease Prevention Track.
Core Performance Standards
Listed below are the core performance standards for UAB DI/MS admission and progression. Before applying, students should review the technical standards.
|Didactic Core Standards|
|Issue||Standard||Some Examples of Necessary Activities (not all inclusive)|
|Critical Thinking||Critical thinking ability sufficient for clinical judgment||Develop nutrition care plans|
|Interpersonal||Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds||Establishes rapport with colleagues, works effectively in groups on course activities|
|Communication||Communication abilities (hearing, speaking, reading and writing) sufficient to interact with others in verbal and written form||Able to complete written assignments, participate in classroom discussion/activities; complete group projects. Focuses in class without causing or creating disruption interruptions|
|Mobility||Physical abilities sufficient to move location to location||Attends class, able to sit during class period and take notes|
|Motor Skills||Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to complete classroom assignments||Able to access and use a computer|
|Hearing||Auditory skills sufficient to hear class presentations and participate in classroom activities||Able to participate in class lectures/discussions|
|Visual||Visual ability sufficient to attend class and participate in classroom activities||Observes colleagues/faculty responses; audio visual aids in class|
|Practicum Core Standards|
|Issue||Standard||Some Examples of Necessary Activities (not all inclusive)|
|Critical Thinking||Critical thinking ability sufficient for clinical judgment||Must have ability to complete all ACEND objectives and planned experiences – examples include: Identify causal/effect relationships, develop nutrition care plans, ability to make safe judgments when planning care plans|
|Interpersonal||Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds||Establishes rapport with patients, clients and colleagues|
|Communication||Communication abilities (hearing, speaking, reading and writing) sufficient to interact with others in verbal and written form||Explain diet plans, initiate health teaching. Able to document and interpret lab values, patient responses and communicate nutrition care plans|
|Mobility||Physical abilities sufficient to move location to location||
Must have transportation/ability to get to various facilities throughout the city and county.
Must have ability to complete clinical practicum in a variety of settings and facilities. This may involve prolonged standing, walking, and moving/lifting equipment, patient charts, etc.
|Motor Skills||Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to complete hospital and clinic assignments||
Ability to handle heavy lifting, multiple types of equipment, refrigeration and heat in foodservice rotations.
Ability to operate multiple forms of computers and software
|Hearing||Auditory skills sufficient to hear class presentations and participate in clinical and community assignments||
Ability to interact in small and large group classes
Ability to interact in numerous formats including classroom, medical rounds, clinical cases etc.
|Visual||Visual ability sufficient including but not limited to accessing patients, participating in classroom and community activities||Ability to fully participate in occasions including but not limited to patient assessment, classroom and community service events|
|Tactile||Physical ability sufficient to perform nutrition-focused physical examination.||Complete measurements, hair pluck ability, assess for edema, evaluate skin|