FAQs About the Graduate Certificate in LVR

I have never taken an on-line course before - how does it work?
Students log into a passcode protected course site. The site is available at all times to the student. The course content is delivered through use of narrated power point presentations and videos of specific evaluation and intervention techniques. Students participate with classmates and instructors in online discussion boards to analyze cases and discuss intervention application. Online chats are held throughout the courses to allow students to interact with experts from various professions who provide low vision services.

Will the graduate certificate prepare me to work with both children and adults?
Because low vision rehabilitation is a very large field, it is not possible, even with an extensive curriculum, to comprehensively address treatment intervention for both children and adults. A decision was made to place the emphasis of this curriculum on the older adult because the demand for occupational therapy services is greater as fewer services are available from traditional providers of low vision rehabilitation. However, many of the interventions used for adults are applicable to children and we have graduates who only work with children.
Will I have an additional credential to add to my name when I complete the certificate?
No, universities do not function as certifying organizations such as NBCOT; therefore it is not possible for UAB to award a credential indicating certification. However, obtaining a graduate certificate in low vision rehabilitation is more rigorous than completion of a single test to become certified because it reflects graduate educational preparation to work in a specific field of practice. As such it carries greater weight with potential employers than certification. In addition, the completion of the Graduate Certificate prepares you to obtain AOTA Speciality Certification in Low Vision Rehabilitation.

Do I have to enroll in the certificate program or can I just take a few classes?
Because the courses are sequential and build upon on another to provide basic professional competence, students must commit to taking all of the courses in sequence within their cohort.

My degree is from another country; can I be accepted into the certificate program?
Yes, as long as your degree is from a program accredited by the World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT). You must provide documentation that you graduated from a school with WFOT accreditation.

I am a COTA. Can I enroll in the graduate certificate?
Unfortunately because the program is provided through the UAB graduate school, only persons with a bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree in occupational therapy can be accepted into the program.
Will the graduate certificate prepare me to apply for AOTA certification in Low Vision Rehabilitation?
Yes, we specifically prepare our students to meet the competencies established for AOTA certification as an SCLV and mentor them through the application process. The program will also prepare you for credentialing as a CLVT.


How do I combine the certificate with the post-professional master’s degree program? 
To combine the programs, you must submit the required documents and be accepted into EACH program.
Can I take coursework for the certificate and the post-professional master’s degree at the same time?
Yes, you can take coursework for both programs concurrently depending on your schedule.

If I decide to complete the post-professional master’s degree after I have started the low vision certificate program, can I still enroll in the post-professional master’s program?
Yes, and the credit hours completed in the certificate program will apply towards the post-professional master’s degree. However, you must meet the graduate school requirements for the post-professional program which includes taking the GRE and receiving an acceptable score. Students considering this option are required to make their decision prior to the final semester of the certificate program and apply so they can meet these requirements without disrupting completion of the program.  Students waiting until the last semester of the certificate to apply to the postprofessional program will have to fill out a new Graduate School application and pay another application fee.