- Oral Health among People with Special Needs (Diabetes, Scleroderma, & SCI) Driving Performance and Fatigue Management after Cancer Therapy Successful Aging (Fall Prevention, Home Modifications, and Volunteering)
1. Yuen HK, Carter, R.A. A predictive model for the intention to implement home modifications: A pilot study. Journal of Applied Gerontology. 2006;25:3-16.
2. Yuen HK, Carter RE. A measure of fall risk behaviors and perceptions among community-dwelling older adults. J Allied Health. Winter 2006;35(4):e276-297.
3. Yuen HK, Mitcham M, Morgan L. Managing post-therapy fatigue for cancer survivors using energy conservation training. J Allied Health. Summer 2006;35(2):121E-139E.
4. Liu KP, Chan CC, Chu MM, et al. Activities of daily living performance in dementia. Acta Neurol Scand. Aug 2007;116(2):91-95.
5. Yuen HK, Gibson, R.W., Yau, M.K., Mitcham, M.D. Actions and prsonal attributes of community-dwelling older adults to maintain independence. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics. 2007;25(3):35-53.
6. Yuen HK, Gillespie MB, Barkley RA, Day TA, Bandyopadhyay D, Sharma AK. Driving performance in patients with cancer in the head and neck region: a pilot study. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Sep 2007;133(9):904-909.
7. Yuen HK, Gillespie MB, Day TA, Morgan L, Burik JK. Driving behaviors in patients with head and neck cancer during and after cancer treatment: a preliminary report. Head Neck. Jul 2007;29(7):675-681.
8. Yuen HK, Sword D. Home-based exercise to alleviate fatigue and improve functional capacity among breast cancer survivors. J Allied Health. Winter 2007;36(4):e257-275.
9. Yuen HK, Huang P, Burik JK, Smith TG. Impact of participating in volunteer activities for residents living in long-term-care facilities. Am J Occup Ther. Jan-Feb 2008;62(1):71-76.
10. Yuen HK, Sharma AK, Logan WC, Gillespie MB, Day TA, Brooks JO. Radiation dose, driving performance, and cognitive function in patients with head and neck cancer. Radiother Oncol. May 2008;87(2):304-307.
11. Yuen HK, Wiegand RE, Slate EH, Magruder KM, Salinas CF, London SD. Dental health knowledge in a group of Black adolescents living in rural South Carolina. J Allied Health. Spring 2008;37(1):15-21.
12. Yuen HK, Logan WC, Boyd MG, Day TA, Brooks JO. Negative psychosocial consequence of self-restricted driving among cancer survivors in the head and neck region. Clin Otolaryngol. Aug 2009;34(4):395-396.
13. Yuen HK, Mountford WK, Magruder KM, et al. Adequacy of oral health information for patients with diabetes. J Public Health Dent. Spring 2009;69(2):135-141.
14. Yuen HK, Pope C. Oral home telecare for adults with tetraplegia: a feasibility study. Spec Care Dentist. Sep-Oct 2009;29(5):204-209.
15. Yuen HK, Shotwell MS, Magruder KM, Slate EH, Salinas CF. Factors associated with oral problems among adults with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009;32(4):408-415.
16. Yuen HK, Tress ME, Salinas CF, Slate EH. Effectiveness of oral self-care among adult Gullah-speaking African Americans with diabetes. Spec Care Dentist. May-June 2009;29(3):128-133.
17. Yuen HK, Wolf BJ, Bandyopadhyay D, Magruder KM, Salinas CF, London SD. Oral health knowledge and behavior among adults with diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. Dec 2009;86(3):239-246.
18. Yuen HK, Fallis M, Martin-Harris B. A survey of head and neck cancer curriculum in United States speech language pathology masters programs. J Cancer Educ. Dec 2010;25(4):556-559.
19. Yuen HK, Marlow NM, Mahoney S, Slate E, Jenkins C, London S. Oral health content in diabetes self-management education programs. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. Dec 2010;90(3):e82-84.
20. Yuen HK, Onicescu G, Hill EG, Jenkins C. A survey of oral health education provided by certified diabetes educators. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. Apr 2010;88(1):48-55.
21. Yuen HK, Wolf BJ, Bandyopadhyay D, Magruder KM, Selassie AW, Salinas CF. Factors that limit access to dental care for adults with spinal cord injury. Spec Care Dentist. Jul-Aug 2010;30(4):151-156.
22. Yuen HK, Burik JK. Survey of driving evaluation and rehabilitation curricula in occupational therapy programs. Am J Occup Ther. Mar-Apr 2011;65(2):217-220.
23. Yuen HK, Weng Y, Bandyopadhyay D, Reed SG, Leite RS, Silver RM. Effect of a multi-faceted intervention on gingival health among adults with systemic sclerosis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. Mar-Apr 2011;29(2 Suppl 65):S26-32.
24. Yuen HK, Brooks JO, Azuero A, Burik J. Certified driver rehabilitation specialists’ preferred characteristics for driving simulator scenarios. Am J Occup Ther. in press.
25. Yuen HK, Holthaus K, Kamen DL, Sword D, Breland HL. Using Wii Fit to reduce fatigue among African American women with systemic lupus erythematosus: A pilot study. Lupus. in press.
26. Yuen HK, Marlow NM, Reed S, et al. Effect of orofacial exercises on oral aperture in adults with systemic sclerosis. Disabil Rehabil. in press.
27. Yuen HK, Wiegand RE, Hill EG, et al. Factors associated with toothache among African American adolescents living in rural South Carolina. Soc Work Public Health. in press.
28. Yuen HK, Azuero A, London S. Association between seeking oral health information online and knowledge in adults with spinal cord injury: a pilot study. J Spinal Cord Med. in press.
Current Professional Presentation
Clinical and Translational Research Institute (SCTR), MUSC. Effects of Exercise using Wii Fit to reduce fatigue among African Americans with SLE. PI: Yuen HK. (10/1/09- 9/30/10). Amount: $50,000. South Carolina
- National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR). Oral Home Telecare for Tetraplegics. PI: Yuen HK. (7/1/2009 – 6/30/2011). Priority score: 100 (perfect) Amount: $417,915.
- National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR). Oral health among people with systemic sclerosis. PI: Yuen HK. (7/1/2007 – 6/30/2010). Priority score: 120. Amount: $401,500.
- Scleroderma Foundation. A Multi-faceted Investigation to Improve Oral Health in Adults with Systemic Sclerosis. PI: Yuen HK. (01/31/2007- 6/5/2009). Amount: $142,850