So where do you start? Here are a few tips to help you blaze your own trail.
1. Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for study away you must meet the following requirements:2. Research Programs
- You must have at least Sophomore standing (30 semester hours completed)
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 (However, some programs may allow you to participate if you have a lower GPA. If this is the case, we will waive our minimum GPA requirement in favor of your program's GPA requirements.
- You must meet with the Study Away Office for approval of your study away credits.
Research will help you get a solid idea of where you want to go, for how long (semester, year, or summer) and what you want to study (a required course, that one CORE class you've been holding off on taking, or something completely new). The Office for Study Away offers a plethora of different types of programs designed to fit each student's needs. Exploring your options is the exciting start to your unforgettable adventure.3. Create a Study Away Account
Program Details to consider
- What type of program am I interested in (faculty-led, 3rd party, reciprocal exchange)?
- Would I prefer a big city or a small one?
- Would I prefer a more independent program or one that is more structured?
- What are some locations I am interested in?
- Do I want to be located in a place where there is a high amount of tourists?
- How important is it that the program I select has specific characteristics such as service learning, internship options and cultural field trips?
- What does the program price include?
- What type of housing is available?
- What courses can I take? Are there courses I know I definitely need to take?
- Can I take these courses in the native language or do I need them in English?
- When would be the best time for me to participate?
Conduct some research into your options
- Research your program options using our Program Map
- Budget what it costs you to live and study here at UAB and then do a cost comparison of your prospective study away program. (Many students are amazed that the cost of study away is really reasonably comparable to staying here at UAB to live and study.)
- Visit one of the Study Away Fairs held in September and February
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss course requirements, when would be the best time to go and other academic concerns.
- Visit our FAQ page
- Get your parents and other loved ones involved!
In order to apply for programs, scholarships and complete additional requirements to study away you will need to create an account profile.4. Apply for a Passport
Don't forget to apply for a passport if you do not currently have one or if yours needs to be renewed. Passports are good for 10 years and are something every student should have. There are two forms of a passport but for the international travel students will be completing, a PASSPORT BOOK is necessary since it is accepted in every country. Visit the U.S. Department of State web site for passport information, requirements, costs and an application.5. Make an Appointment with the Study Away Office
One of the most important steps in blazing your trail toward studying away is making an appointment with the Study Away Office. During this appointment we work out what courses you are planning on taking, how the credit will transfer back to UAB, if there are countries or areas of study you might not have considered yet and answer any additional questions you may have.