- UAB is the only Alabama university (and one of only 51 nationally) to be classified by the Carnegie Foundation for both “very high research activity” and “community engagement.”
- The Princeton Review has ranked UAB among the top 10 universities for diversity for three years running—in fact, the publication called us a “mecca of multiculturalism.”
- The Honors College programs at UAB provide the individualized, interdisciplinary approach to education and the strong sense of community that IB students are accustomed to.
Benefits for IB students:
UAB is proud to recognize IB students with special scholarship opportunities. To be considered for one of the two awards listed below, log in to B-SMART and submit the General Application. Then, answer the supplemental questions for the IB Diploma Candidate Award by March 1st. Selected students will initially be awarded the Diploma Candidate amount ($1,000 per year). If they earn the IB Diploma, their awards will automatically be upgraded to the IB Diploma Holder Scholarship ($2,500 per year) after their final IB scores are received.
|Name of 4-year Award||Annual Amount|
|IB Diploma Candidate Award||$1,000|
|IB Diploma Holder Award (Candidates will be automatically upgraded from $1,000 when UAB receives official notification from IBO regarding your Diploma Holder status.)||$2,500|
IB Candidates and Diploma Holders who enroll at UAB are guaranteed priority registration.
Credit for IB Coursework
IB students can earn up to a year and a half’s worth of college credit with completed IB coursework. UAB offers credit for more than 40 SL and HL courses.
How do I get International Baccalaureate Credit at UAB?
Use IB's Candidate Results Service to request a transcript be sent to UAB.
You can request that an official score report be sent to UAB by calling or writing IB at:
International Baccalaureate North America
Request that the official transcript be sent to:
What if I have transferred to UAB from another college and the college from which I transferred has already evaluated my IB courses?
You will still need to have an official IB transcript sent to UAB. UAB has to evaluate IB credit based on UAB policy, not the policy of another university.
When will credit be posted to my transcript?
If you are enrolled in courses at UAB as an undergraduate, degree-seeking student, credit will be posted to your transcript after your IB scores have been evaluated and the drop/add date has passed.
Will I be notified when credit has been posted to my transcript?
No. You will only be notified if credit cannot be posted to your transcript.
- All IB credit is recorded on the transcript with a grade of "P.”
- IB credits may not be used in repeating a course.
- No more than 45 semester hours of alternative credit may be applied toward a degree.
- Credit will only be posted to the transcript of undergraduate, degree-seeking students who are enrolled in classes at UAB.