Advanced Internet networks and comprehensive Wi-Fi connectivity in residence halls will be online in time for the start of the fall semester, providing advanced high-speed wired and wireless networks serving 2,200 student residents with Internet speeds starting at 250Mb/resident.
“Advanced networks are essential in the education environment,” said Carolyn Farley, director of Academic and Student Services. “We feel a real responsibility to give our students cutting-edge technology so they can thrive in a community of scholars.”
Networks at UAB’s five residential buildings will offer:
- High-speed wireless and wired services
- Comprehensive Wi-Fi connectivity covering all student rooms and community spaces, including study rooms, laundry rooms and lobby areas
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access, and tiered options for more frequent users to purchase additional bandwidth
- Dedicated full-time, on-site student support
- 24/7/365 troubleshooting and support by phone, email, chat and text
- Convenient print stations
UAB Housing and Residential Life will provide residents instructions via email, welcome packages and fliers. UAB selected Apogee to plan, install and roll out the wired and wireless networks; an on-site Apogee coordinator will be available to students in the Blazer Hall lobby to provide support.
The Den by Denny’s, the fast, casual and college-focused version of Denny’s restaurants, will open in the former Diner location in the Commons on the Green. This venue will operate for daytime and late-night dining, offering a variety of options.
Beginning this fall, students will also have access to the consolidated student health and wellness center. Construction continues on a new residence hall and student center, both scheduled to open in time for the 2015 school year.
“These projects exemplify UAB’s commitment to our students,” said UAB President Ray L. Watts. “Collectively, they will enhance wellness programs, health care and the overall student experience at UAB.”