Dates & Deadlines
|July 1||Deadline for Roommate Requests - visit MyHousing to submit|
|August 3||Freshmen Building & Roommate Assignments - Check your UAB email for details|
|August 13||50% of account balance due - visit uab.edu/whentopay for details|
|August 22||Freshmen Move-In Day - Check your UAB email for assigned move-in time|
|August 22||Dive-In Movie - 9:00 p.m. - Campus Recreation Center Pool|
Check your UAB email throughout the summer for important information about living on campus!
Before You Arrive
Pick Up Your ONE Card
At New Student Orientation, pick up your UAB ONE Card â€“ this is your student ID, and you will need it to check into your room, for entry into your residence hall, and to use your Meal Plan and BlazerBucks.
Contact Your Roommate
After you know who your roommate is, think about what items you will share and who will bring them (TV, DVD player, video game system).
Check Computer Network Compatibility
For information about ResNet, UABâ€™s internet provider visit myresnet.com.
Pre-Order Your Parking Permit
You are able to pre-order your parking permit from UAB Parking & Transportation. All permits (including permits for students living on campus) will be mailed during the summer to the studentâ€™s permanent address.
Make sure all items are packed in boxes or reusable totes and are clearly labeled with your name, residence hall, and room number.
What to Bring
and What Not to Bring
Furniture - One Per Resident
- Twin XL Bed & Mattress
- Desk & Chair
No worries about utilities - they are included!
- Electricity & Water
- Air Conditioning & Heating
- Cable Television Service
- Ethernet and Wireless Network Connection
- Free Online Steaming Movie Service
View Residence Hall Floor Plans and Photos
Other Room Details
Walls and Ceilings
Do not insert any items (flat panel TVs, hooks, nails, etc.) into the walls or ceiling of your room. You can hang posters and paper items on the walls and ceiling with white sticky-tack or blue painters tape.
Whenever you leave your room (even for a few minutes), lock your door. Your hall and room are as safe as you make them. Also, be sure to write down the serial numbers for all electronic devices you bring and store that list in a safe place.
Paying for Housing
Your semester housing charges will be placed on your student account along with tuition and other fees. Fall charges are posted to student accounts in late July, and the first payment deadline is August 13, 2015.
You can help make this a great experience by reviewing the information we send you and ensuring you have done everything before you get to campus.
Move-in is structured around assigned move-in times. If you arrive before your check-in time you will be asked to park and re-join the line at your assigned time.
Volunteers will help you move into your room â€“ youâ€™ll recognize them by their t-shirts! You may also bring your own dolly/hand truck.
Traffic Routing Map for Move-In Day
- Trailers & box trucks will have a designated unloading zone for each building.
- Vehicles with a few small items or no items should park remotely and rejoin your party at your hall.
- All students, family, and friends are asked to park in the parking deck on the corner of 10th Ave S. and 16th Street.
- Check in at the lobby of your building with your UAB ONE Card.
- Meet your RA on your floor to complete check-in paperwork.
- Complete your electronic room condition report within 48 hours.
Things to Know
One Stop Student Services
The One Stop is conveniently located on the first floor of the Blazer Hall Residence Life Center. Members of the One Stop team will be available on Saturday & Sunday to assist with meal plans, financial aid, parking, paying your bill or more. If you have any questions prior to move-in, feel free to contact them at email@example.com or 205-934-4300.
UAB has a vast selection of dining locations across campus. All students who live on campus are required to purchase a meal plan. Go to the UAB Meal Plans websitePlans website to find a plan thatâ€™s right for you and sign up online.
If you plan to bring a car to campus, you can purchase a parking permit from UAB Parking & Transportation. UAB campus bus service is also available through Blazer Express.
UAB has many campus-wide features to foster a safe and secure environment:
- Residence halls are locked 24/7 â€“ ONE Card access to residents only
- 24/7 staffed front desk at each residence hall
- Student Housing & Residence Life has a UAB Police Precinct
- Over 400 Help phones on campus that connect directly to UAB police
- Blazer Express bus service provides free rides to students around campus
Things you can do to increase your safety:
- Always carry your cell phone.
- Always let your roommate or someone know when/where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Refer to the Campus Safety & Security website and UAB Police website for additional information.
You will be sent an email prior to move-in explaining how to set up your internet connection and MyResNet account. Apogee will be available during move in to help you with any issues regarding WiFi in the Residence Halls. For more information visit myresnet.com.