The ESL exam is given for students whose first language is not English. The ESL consists of a reading test, a grammar and usage test, and a listening test. Each part is multiple choice, given on computer, and untimed. If you score high enough on all sections of the test, you will be cleared to take English Composition 101. If you do not score high enough on one or more parts of the test you will be eligible for ELC 101: Academic Writing for Non-Native English Speakers I.
You must take the ESL test prior to registering at UAB if:
- Your first language is not English and/or you were required to submit TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS results as part of your admission requirements.
- You completed college-level coursework at a U.S. institution or international school but have NOT completed English Composition 101 with a grade of C or higher
Upcoming Test Dates
- Please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment
- No charge.
Test Day Information
- You must bring photo-bearing identification, your student number/Blazer ID and a #2 pencil.
- Cell phones are not permitted.
- If you require special academic accommodations for the tests, contact the Testing Center at (205) 934-5503 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.