Image ID: #P23.3
Image ID: P46.1
On this anniversary of the station, the UAB Archives is pleased to announce the opening of a WBHM archival collection that contains photographs, scrapbooks, publications, etc. Click here to contact the UAB Archives for information on Record Group 46, WBHM 90.3 FM Radio.
Image ID: P6, #0003
Image ID: P7.3.3, #0088
Image ID: P16.1.3, #3208
Touring University Hospital, 1966. Dr. Alan R. Dimick (left) and Dr. John W. Kirklin (right) provide a hospital tour for a member of the Shriner organization. Kirklin, a renowned surgeon at the Mayo Clinic, was recruited to Birmingham in July of 1966. At UAB he served as chair of the surgery department, as director of the cardiothoracic surgery division, as hospital chief-of-staff, and as founder and president of the Health Services Foundation. He retired from UAB in 1997.
Image ID: P7.2.8, #0359
Image ID: P7.3.13, #0962
Groundbreaking ceremony, May 2, 1991. Dr. John D. Jones, vice president for Student Affairs, watches a member of the UAB community participating in the groundbreaking for a new international house. The Bertha and Joseph Smolian International House on 10th Avenue South was formally dedicated on April 28, 1992. It was named in honor of long-time UAB benefactors; an earlier International House on 9th Avenue South had also been named in honor of the Smolians.
Image ID #P23.3
Image ID: P23.2
Image ID: Media Guide
For the second consecutive year, UAB hosted the C-USA Men’s and Women’s basketball tournaments with games played in Bartow Arena and at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center (BJCC). The tournament was held March 8-12. Go Blazers!!!
Image ID: P7.4.1, #0694
Members of the UAB Police Department, 1978. Outside the department’s headquarters with a fleet of patrol cars are (left to right): patrolmen J. C. Johnson, Doug Gilmer, Les Nicholson, Jim Hicks, and Sgt. Paul Harrington. The police department was organized in 1972 and occupied a building at 910 South 15th Street until 1992 when the department was moved to a newly acquired building on South 14th Street. The old headquarters building was later used by several UAB departments before being demolished for the construction of the Campus Green.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #0605
Medical Center Dormitories and Apartments along South 20th Street, November 1945. When the medical school was established in Birmingham, the university acquired the former Cullom Apartments for use as faculty and student housing. The 18 apartment buildings fronted South 20th Street and 8th Avenue South. The buildings later held various campus offices, such as the Urban Affairs Institute and offices for anthropology, art, chemistry, biology, and natural sciences. In 1962 some of the buildings were demolished in order to build the Engineering Building [Cudworth Education Center]. The remaining buildings were demolished in 1969 for the construction of the Kahler Plaza Hotel [DoubleTree Hotel]
Image ID: MC51, #152a
Image ID: P23.1
ROTC Color Guard, circa 1989. The Army ROTC program at UAB was established in September 1980 with 12 student cadets. In 1983 UAB was granted host institution status and became home to the newest battalion of the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps. UAB’s Army ROTC program is currently headquartered in the 501 Building on 12th Street South.
Image ID: P7.2.6, #0021
UAB students, circa 1977. These students make good use of the new pedestrian bridge crossing University Boulevard at South 13th Street. The bridge was completed in 1975 as UAB experienced dramatic growth in the student population. Total enrollment grew from 5,381 in 1969-70 -- UAB's first year as an independent university -- to 12,119 in 1975-76 the year the footbridge was completed on the western end of the UAB campus. The undergraduate enrollment grew 109% during that time period.
Image ID: P7.3.1, #1013
Image ID: P8.1.1, #0025
Image ID: P17.1.10, #0183
Image ID: P7.3.1, #1026
Image ID: P16.1.2, #0577
Image ID: P7.2.1, #0223
Image ID: P45.2, #0741
On this 60th anniversary of that inaugural performance, the UAB Archives is pleased to announce the opening of a major collection of Town and Gown archival material, with over 5,000 photographs, hundreds of playbills and event programs, several scrapbooks, and administrative files. Click here to review Record Group 45 or here to contact the UAB Archives for additional information.
UAB art students in the White House, December 1994. First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton invited college students from around the country to create ornaments depicting the “Twelve Days of Christmas,” the chosen theme for the holiday season. Ornaments submitted by the UAB students were displayed on a 19-foot tree in the Blue Room. The UAB students were given a private tour of the White House as thanks for their contributions.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1324
Mervyn H. Sterne Library, circa 1975. The library was formally dedicated in May 1973 as part of UAB’s new University College campus. It was officially rededicated on October 23, 1974, as the Sterne Library in memory of a prominent local civic leader, Civil Rights activist, and UAB supporter.
Image ID: P8.1.1, #0049
John F. Kennedy Exhibit, September 1964. Following the 1963 death of President Kennedy, some of his personal papers and memorabilia toured America. Administrators at the Medical Center were responsible for the display being exhibited in Birmingham on September 16-17 in the gymnasium of the Ft. Mortimer H. Jordan National Guard Armory (later UAB’s Mortimer Jordan Hall).
Image ID: P1, #299e
Dean Roy Kracke at his desk, circa 1945. Dr. Roy Kracke, became the first dean of the new medical school in Birmingham on August 1, 1944. He had one year to set up the four-year school in the crowded Jefferson Hillman Hospital complex, and the first new faculty were hired by the end of the year. Junior students began clinical training in June 1945. Faculty and staff were moved from Tuscaloosa in September and classes for freshmen began on October 8, 1945.
Image ID: MC51, #4843
President S. Richardson Hill, Jr., signs the first pledge card for the new UAB Benevolent Fund, 1984. The fund was established in 1984, and in July Dr. Virginia D. Gauld (right) was selected as first president of the UAB Faculty and Staff Benevolent Fund Council, a new 32-member group to oversee UAB’s charitable giving campaign.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #2736
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1413
Spain Rehabilitation Center opens, April 26, 1964. Hospital Administrator Matthew F. McNulty, Jr. (right), tours Frank E. and Margaret Cameron Spain through the new center named in their honor while hospital staff demonstrate a circular treatment bed. The Spains donated half a million dollars to help fund the Medical Center's rehabilitation facility and the center was officially opened during ceremonies held April 25-26, 1964.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1549
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1894
For all Distinguished Faculty Lecturers, see the chronological history of UAB available at http://www.uab.edu/archives/chron
Photo ID: P7.4.2, #0015
University Hospital celebrates the holiday season, 1963. Decorations installed outside the hospital's main entrance on South 19th Street highlighted the "75th Year of Good Health to All." The predecessor entity of the Hillman Hospital had been established in October of 1888 to provide care for Birmingham's needy citizens.
Image ID: P17, #0090
Business School Backs the Blazers, 1978. A large hallway sign placed in University College Building Number 1 proclaimed “The School of Business Supports ‘Our’ Blazers….and the Entire Blazer Team!” The UAB men’s and women’s teams debuted in basketball games held in 1978. Building Number 1 is the current School of Education Building.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1008
University Hospital Emergency Clinic, circa 1965. On Sunday, September 15, 1963, the emergency clinic at University Hospital received those injured in the bombing of Birmingham's Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. The hospital also received the bodies of the four children killed in the blast.
Image ID: P16.1.1, #0729
For information on the events held to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement, see the website of the City of Birmingham at http://50yearsforward.com/.
Medical student John A. Harris studies Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, circa 1964. Dr. Tinsley R. Harrison, an Alabama native and long-time member of the UAB faculty, was the author of one of the most widely read textbooks in medical education, a textbook still in use today. John Harris graduated from the medical school in 1966.
Image ID: P7.3.3, #0606
The Medical Center switchboard, circa 1968. Located within University Hospital, the switchboard for the Medical Center was the largest private board exchange in the state and employed a team of 16. The switchboard operators were also responsible for the hospital’s paging and emergency alarm systems.
Image ID: P16.1.2, #2361
Hill University Center, circa 1985. This building was opened in 1983 and formally dedicated as the University Center in May 1984. In May of 1991 the UC was officially renamed as the Hill University Center in honor of UAB’s second president, Dr. S. Richardson Hill, Jr. The HUC will be demolished this summer and will be replaced with a new building.
Image ID: P7.2.10, #0067
University College dedication ceremony, May 20, 1973. University College Building No. 1, Building No. 2, Building No. 3, and the library – today’s Education, Chemistry, and Humanities Buildings and Sterne Library – were dedicated in a ceremony held in May of 1973. Governor George C. Wallace spoke at the ceremony one year after he survived an attempted assassination at a presidential campaign stop in Maryland. The Governor’s wheelchair is visible as he stands at the podium.
Image ID: P1, #0342
Looking down South 18th Street toward Red Mountain, March 1993. The Blizzard of 1993, the so-called “Storm of the Century,” impacted 26 states and much of eastern Canada, bringing record snowfall across North America. Over the weekend of March 12-13 Birmingham received 13 inches of snow but some locations in the metropolitan area received up to 17 inches. This was a record for a single snowfall and was more than ever received during an entire winter season. All activities at UAB except for essential hospital services were cancelled and many staff remained at their jobs for days.
Image: Progress Notes yearbook
New telephone directory released, 1968. Anita Sellers, secretary in the Office of Communications, with the new and enlarged directory for the university campus. The 6x9 inch publication contained 96 pages with a simple alphabetical listing of staff and an administrative listing of offices and programs. The last printed Campus Directory distributed to the UAB campus was released in 2009. The 8x11 inch publication contained over 570 pages.
Image ID: P16.1.2, #2386
1917 Clinic, circa 1988. In response to the growing epidemic, an outpatient clinic for AIDS patients was opened at UAB in January 1988. It was founded and first directed by Dr. Michael S. Saag. The clinic name originated from the building’s street address of 1917 5th Avenue South in order to protect the confidentiality of the patients.
Image ID: P23.3, #1419
Dr. Michael S. Saag presented the 34th annual Reynolds Historical Lecture, entitled "Thirty Years of AIDS," on February 22, 2013. For additional information see http://www.uab.edu/reynolds/lecture
Columbus statue unveiled, October 1992. A marble statue of Christopher Columbus was unveiled on the terrace of the UAB Smolian International House as part of Birmingham’s Columbus Day celebration. The project was supported by the local chapter of the Knights of Columbus and by the Bruno family. UAB President Charles A. McCallum, Jr. (far right), Joseph S. Bruno (center), and other guests are shown with the work of sculptor Ugo Sordelli.Image ID: P7.4.1, #594
The UAB Marching Blazers, circa 1994. Following a debut during an away game, the marching band performed at home for the first time at Legion Field on September 17, 1994, with music professor Clifford Winter (second from right) as band director and student Brian Wilson as the first drum major. UAB had hosted a pep band for basketball games since the late 1970s, but a new NCAA-level football team needed a marching band to perform during half-time shows.
Image ID: P6, #002
Image ID: P6, #007
The Kirklin Clinic, 1992. In 1990 ground was broken for a new outpatient clinic for The University of Alabama Health Services Foundation. Designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei, the facility was named in honor of Dr. John W. Kirklin, former chair of the UAB Department of Surgery and former president of the foundation. The Kirklin Clinic was dedicated on June 5, 1992.
A parade kicks off Birmingham's celebration of the Centennial Olympic Games, July 19, 1996. Legion Field was a host site for soccer matches as part of the XXVI Olympic Games held in Atlanta, Georgia. Over 431,200 people attended the eleven matches held in Birmingham. The West Field on the UAB campus was used as a practice site, and UAB was the location for a reception honoring local volunteers. This parade traveled down South 20th Street through the UAB campus.
Image ID: P23.1
The Shuttle Columbia roars into space, June 25, 1992. Aboard Columbia was Dr. Lawrence “Larry” DeLucas, a member of the UAB faculty and a UAB alumnus. The university’s first astronaut and the first optometrist in space, Dr. DeLucas was a payload specialist aboard NASA space mission STS-50. Columbia and crew returned to earth on July ninth. This image is an official NASA photograph.
Image ID: P7.3.6, #0120
Jimmie Ethel Montgomery, circa 1925. On May 26, 1925, Montgomery received a bachelor's degree in medicine from the two-year basic sciences program at the University of Alabama becoming the first female graduate of the medical school. In 1928 Montgomery received the M.D. from the University of Minnesota. She was a general practitioner in Bibb County, Alabama, and died in 1982.
Image: The Corolla yearbook
Hulsey Fine Arts Center, circa 1982. The Hulsey Center for the Arts and Humanities, more commonly known as the Hulsey Fine Arts Center, was completed in 1981 and was officially opened on April 30, 1982. A renovation project completed in 2004 gave the center a new main entrance along South 13th Street. The Center is named in honor of UAB benefactors William Hansell and Susan Mabry Hulsey.
Image ID: P7.3.3, #70
Officials break ground in the Medical Center for a building to house the Jefferson County Public Health Department, March 12, 1947. Participants include second from left James W. Morgan, County Commissioner; fifth from left James E. Folsom, Sr., Governor of Alabama; sixth from left Dr. D. J. Gill, state health officer, and seventh from left Dr. George A. Denison, county health officer. Dr. Alfred A. Walker, chair of the county health board, operates the steam shovel. When the building opened in 1948, the health department was able to vacate space in the Jefferson-Hillman Hospital that was needed for the growing medical school and the new dental school.Image ID: MC51, 127i
President S. Richardson Hill, Jr., at his desk, circa 1978. Dr. Hill became the second President of UAB on February 1, 1977, and served until his retirement in 1987. He had previously served as Vice President for Health Affairs, as Dean of the medical school, and as first director of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Dr. Hill came to UAB in 1954 and he remained involved on the campus until his death in 2003.
Image ID: P7.2.1, #1023
President Charles A. McCallum, Jr., welcomes a visitor to his office in Mortimer Jordan Hall, January 1992. Trash Gordon, the new mascot of the UAB Recycling Program, was introduced that month and appeared at events on campus and around the metropolitan area. The program also introduced a new theme: "We're litter free at UAB: reduce it, redo it, recycle."
Image ID: P7.4.1, #337
Santa visits University Hospital with a little help from the elves of the Maintenance Department, circa 1990. The University Hospital Maintenance Department began collecting for the Christmas Toy Fund in 1981 to ensure that hospitalized patients received gifts during the holiday.
Image ID: P16.1.11, #0170
Sarah Cole Brown with rare items from the Reynolds Historical Library, circa 1975. Brown became chief librarian at the Medical Center in 1955 and in October 1971 became the first director of the newly opened Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences. Brown retired from UAB in 1977.
Image ID: P7.2.1 , #044
Blazer Quarterback Doug Gann (left) in the first NCAA football game for UAB, September 7, 1991. The university fielded a club team in 1989 but in the fall of 1991 UAB began play as an NCAA Division III team. In the game played in Jackson, Mississippi, the Blazers lost to Millsaps College.
Image ID: P6.1, #2742
Groundbreaking for a new research facility, June 5, 1990. President Charles A. McCallum, Jr., speaks to the crowd assembled for the ceremony. When opened in 1993 the building was named in honor of Alabama Representative Tom Bevill. Seated on the platform with Dr. McCallum are UAB officials (left to right) Drs. John R. Durant, Vice President for Health Affairs; Victor J. Matukas, Dean of Dentistry; and James A. Pittman, Jr., Dean of Medicine.
Image ID: P6 #01
Dedication of the Bell Building, May 16, 1971. UAB President Joseph F. Volker (left) and members of the Bell family attend the dedication of the Bell Building. Part of the Ullman-Bell complex, the building was named in honor of the late Dr. George C. Bell, who had served as the first principal of the Ullman High School from 1937 until 1965.
Image ID: P1, #0364
Ceremonial first pitch for the Jerry D. Young Memorial Field, April 18, 1985. Brooks Robinson, a Hall of Famer and former Baltimore Oriole, threw out the first pitch at the dedicatory game at the Young Memorial Field. The UAB Blazers defeated Ole Miss 8 to 2. UAB’s first on-campus home for baseball had been in use for just over a year when it was formally dedicated in honor of the founding dean of the School of Business and the Vice President for Finance at the time of his death in 1983.
Image ID: P6.1, #0698
A mummy is scanned in University Hospital, 1988. Prior to being displayed at the Birmingham Museum of Art as part of the Birmingham Festival of Arts, the mummy of an Egyptian female was brought to UAB for examination. Officials used a CAT scan to examine the remains of the 2,000-year old woman, who became the “oldest patient” ever examined at University Hospital.
Image ID: P23.3, #572
Jefferson Hospital postcard, ca. 1941. The county’s new hospital was constructed with over $2 million in federal funding and was dedicated in December of 1940. It was called “the South’s finest private hospital.” The first patient was admitted to Jefferson Hospital on February 1, 1941; he was a construction worker who had helped lay the building’s foundation.
Image ID: MC51, #127g
Preparing a feast for Thanksgiving Dinner, 1978. Hospital dietetics supervisors Ollie Griffie, Jr., (left) and Beverly Willingham (right) with some of the 700 pounds of turkey served in University Hospital on the holiday. The dietetics department also prepared over 300 pounds of sweet potatoes and 15 cases of cranberries.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #0993
Drs. Tinsley R. Harrison and Champ Lyons receive honorary degrees, October 1, 1965. In a special convocation ceremony at the Medical Center, the two medical school faculty members received honorary Doctor of Science degrees from The University of Alabama. The previous October, the two physicians had been named Distinguished Professors, the first such designations awarded in the history of the university system. Pictured at the Birmingham ceremony are (left to right): President Frank A. Rose, Harrison, Vice President Joseph F. Volker, and Lyons.
Image ID: P7.1.2, #0170
Nursing students receive instruction in University Hospital, 1967. Reviewing a patient’s chart are (left to right) Linda West, Instructor June Williamson, Sandra Moody, and Frances Pippen. The School of Nursing was founded in September 1950 and was originally located at The University of Alabama. Nursing students first traveled from the Tuscaloosa campus to the Birmingham medical center in June 1953 to obtain clinical training. In August 1967 the school was moved to Birmingham to become an integral component of UAB.
Image ID: P20.2, #1301
Image ID: P16.1.3, #3754
President S. Richardson Hill, Jr., welcomes Gene Bartow (right) to UAB as the university's first athletic director and head coach of a new men's intercollegiate basketball team, June 14, 1977. Dr. Hill recruited Coach Bartow to UAB from his position as head coach of basketball powerhouse UCLA. Bartow served as coach until 1996 and as athletic director until 2000. In 1997 the UAB Arena was renamed Bartow Arena in his honor.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1180
Dr. Joseph F. Volker (far right) provides clinical instruction for dentists and dental students, Thailand, 1951. Volker, the founding dean of the dental school at UAB, spent three months in Thailand as part of a US State Department education program. Volker's trip was the first of many for him and for other UAB faculty, a tradition that has continued for six decades. Today UAB is formally affiliated with several health science institutions in Thailand.
Image ID: P1, #0126
Student Julia Knight at work in the chemistry laboratory, 1967. The Department of Chemistry was established in 1966 as one of the original academic units in the College of General Studies. Originally housed within the Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, the chemistry department was part of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics from 1973 until 2009. In January 2010 chemistry became one of the academic departments in UAB's new College of Arts and Sciences.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1935
Students in the radiological technology program, circa 1975. The School of Health Professions has provided training in radiology technology since the school was originally established in 1969. But a certificate-level program had been offered within the hospital since 1944. When the School of Community and Allied Health Resources (today's School of Health Professions) was established, the program in radiology technology was transferred from the hospital to the new school.
Image ID: , P19.1, #0211
UAB's Olympian Vonetta Flowers in Bartow Arena, February 27, 2002. Earlier in the month at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, Flowers and team-mate Jill Bakken won the inaugural Women's Bobsled event. Upon return to Birmingham, a public celebration was held in Bartow Arena for Flowers, an assistant coach of the UAB track team and an alumna of the university.
Image ID: P7.3.13, #1232
UAB expansion begins, January 30, 1970. At the groundbreaking ceremony for a new academic campus are (left to right): Dr. Joseph F. Volker, President of UAB; Albert P. Brewer, Governor of Alabama; and Dr. George W. Campbell, Dean of the College of General Studies. As faculty member Dr. Hubert Harper later remembered, they were in “a blighted environment…streets full of litter…some old houses still standing in the progressive decay… In this depressing environment…we stood in the dying day and the rising chill and witnessed" a very important occasion, the expansion of UAB. The first three buildings of this new western campus would be dedicated in ceremonies held in 1973.
Image ID: P7.2.1, #360
UAB professor speaks about economic downturn, February 21, 1979. Dr. David P. Lewis, chair of the UAB Department of Economics, spoke to area business executives during an "Economic Outlook '79" seminar hosted by the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce, the UAB School of Business, and the UAB Division of Special Studies. Lewis and other speakers predicted the country would experience a "mild recession" by middle of the year.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #1084
Dean Roy R. Kracke with faculty and students, 1945. Kracke (seated third from left) graduated in 1924 from the two-year medical school in Tuscaloosa. In 1944 he was named dean of the Medical College of Alabama, the university's newly established four-year school in Birmingham. The medical school had originally been founded in Mobile in 1859 as a proprietary institution. It was first affiliated with the University of Alabama in 1897 and officially became an academic unit of the university in 1907.
Image ID: MC51, #127e
UAB celebrates $100 Million Dollar Day, April 27, 1989. In the courtyard by Volker Hall, School of Optometry, and Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, UAB hosted a picnic to celebrate reaching $100 million in active research grants and contracts. Twenty years after reaching this major milestone, UAB currently has over $473 million in active extramural funding.
Image ID: P7.4.2, #0138
Class of 1949 tours the Eli Lilly Company, March 1949. On the trip to Indianapolis, Indiana, were thirty-five faculty, class members and spouses. On June 3, 1949, thirty-one students graduated from the Medical College of Alabama as the first class to complete all four years of medical education in Birmingham.
Image ID: MC51, #127l
University College Building No. 2, circa 1978. Ground was broken in July 1970 for a new building in the developing campus of University College. This facility was completed and opened in June 1972 as the home to classrooms, laboratories, administrative offices, and several academic units. In 1983 the building was renamed the Physical Sciences Building. Following the completion of a renovation project, in 1995 the facility was renamed the Chemistry Building.
Image ID: P8.1.1, #0052
An attendant answers an incoming MIST call, circa 1975. Medical Information Service via Telephone (MIST), which began operation in August 1969, allowed Alabama physicians to call and discuss medical problems with specialists on duty at the UAB Medical Center. Later, the program expanded to physicians from across the country and it became a model for similar programs in other states.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1010
UAB President Joseph F. Volker in his office, circa 1969. On June 16, 1969, Dr. Volker was named president-elect of the "University of Alabama in Birmingham," and he officially assumed the presidency of the newly independent university on September 5, 1969. The office of the new president was located on the first floor of the Lyons-Harrison Research Building; the same office he had occupied for years as vice president and head of all operations in Birmingham.
Image ID: P1, #0357
Image ID: P21.2, #0517
The hospital complex, circa 1945. The hospital photographed at the time of the establishment of the University of Alabama's Birmingham Medical Center. The tall building (center) is Jefferson Hospital. The building at the right is the newest wing of the Hillman Hospital. This facility had been dedicated January 15, 1929, as a major addition to the hospital. In 1979 the two buildings were officially designated as the New Hillman Building and as Jefferson Tower.
Image ID: MC51, 127g
Members of UAB's Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils decorate a Christmas tree in the new University Center, December 1983. Standing around the tree are (left to right) Chuck Dinsmore, Bonita Seaborn, Mark Stephens, and Darryl Cunningham. The University Center opened in October 1983 and on May 17, 1991, would be renamed the Hill University Center in honor of Dr. S. Richardson Hill, Jr., second president of UAB.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #2555
A class in the UAB School of Education, 1980. Attendees in a summer course listen as Dr. Kevin P. Walsh, a member of the education faculty, lectures. The School of Education was formally created in August 1971, but a Division of Education had been established in 1968 as part of the university's College of General Studies.
Image ID: P7.3.3, #0638
Dental students in the laboratory, circa 1952. The three students here, (left to right) Randall O. Laffre, Jr., Robert J. Eustice, and Gerald R. Rowe, were members of the first class to graduate from the School of Dentistry. Fifty-two men, all veterans of World War II, matriculated on October 18, 1948, and fifty would graduate on May 31, 1952.
Image ID: P1, #0221
Art class offered in the Division of Humanities, circa 1970. In 1968 two people were hired to teach art classes part-time. In 1969 the two became full-time instructors within the Division of Humanities. In 1972 UAB began a major in art, and in 1973 the Department of Art was formally organized within the new School of Humanities.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1923
UAB officials work the barbecue pit, circa 1980. Preparing the day's meal for a university office picnic are (left to right): Dr. Jerry D. Young, vice president for Finance; unknown; and Stanley L. Chesser, director of Campus Services and Grounds. The barbecue pit was located on the western edge of campus near South 11th Street, near the Special Studies and Facilities Management buildings.
Image ID: P16.1.7, #0490
Urban Renewal area, 1958. On June 10, 1958 university officials obtained 10 ½ blocks of land adjacent to the Medical Center. The Urban Renewal Project allowed the campus to grow west from its original four blocks. This photograph of the 800 block of South 17th Street – the site currently occupied by the Learning Resources Center – clearly illustrates the substandard conditions found immediately west of the campus. University Hospital and the Veterans Administration Hospital are visible in the background.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #0571
Kidney transplant surgery, circa 1981. The first kidney transplant in the state of Alabama was conducted at the Medical Center in Birmingham on May 8, 1968. Dr. Arnold G. Diethelm performed the surgery and headed the transplant team. In the 40 years since that first surgery, UAB has grown to be one of America's top transplant centers with patients arriving from around the globe for treatment. Currently, the university has active programs in kidney, heart, liver, lung, bone marrow, pancreas, cornea and retina transplantation.
Image ID: P7.3.3, #0310
The Engineering Building gets a new sign, December 1966. Pictured are (left to right) Don Bowermann, president of the Birmingham Chapter of the American Institute of Industrial Engineers, and Dr. Joseph H. Appleton, professor of Civil Engineering. The AIIE chapter provided funding for the lettering on the building. Dr. Appleton later served as director of the Engineering Division from 1967 until 1971 and as first dean of the School of Engineering from 1971 until 1978. The engineering program began in the 1940s and was the first non-health related program at UAB where students could complete all of their coursework in Birmingham.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #0305
Lawrence Reynolds, MD, at the opening reception of the Lawrence Reynolds Library, 1958. Dr. Reynolds, an Alabama native, selected the medical school in Birmingham as home for his collection of over 6,000 books, manuscripts and artifacts. The Lawrence Reynolds Library was dedicated on February 2, 1958. Since 1974 the Reynolds Historical Library has been housed within UAB's Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences. The library collection has grown to over 13,000 items and the library is one of three units that comprise UAB Historical Collections.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1521
Gladys McQueen becomes the university's first "Employee of the Month," January 1978. McQueen, who had 25 years of service with the university, was a keypunch supervisor in the Central Computing Facility. In January of 1979 she would also be selected as UAB's first "Employee of the Year."
Image ID: P7.2.1, #0574
Image ID: P7.4.1, #723
Site of the University of Alabama Extension Center in Birmingham, undated. The former home was located at 2131 6th Avenue North and was acquired as part of a mortgage foreclosure. On September 14, 1936 the University of Alabama's Birmingham Extension Center opened in the renovated building. For the first term, 116 students were enrolled. The center remained at this location until 1954 when a new facility opened adjacent to the Medical Center. The old house was later demolished for a parking lot.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #0313
Nursing students relax in the dorm, 1967. In August of 1967 the nursing school was moved from its original home on the campus in Tuscaloosa to Birmingham to become part of the growing Medical Center. The nursing residence hall (later renamed Hixson Hall) offered living and entertainment areas for the students moving to Birmingham.
Image ID: P14, #0127
Visiting actors Kitty Carlisle Hart (center) and Birmingham native Wayne Rogers (left) view artifacts in the Town and Gown Theatre, May 1978. James F. Hatcher (right) founded the theatre in 1950 and directed it until his retirement from UAB in 1991. Hatcher eventually created a museum in the Clark Theater Building with his collection of letters, photographs, scripts and props; some of the items from that museum are now contained in the Hatcher Collection at the UAB Archives.
Image ID: P7.4.2, #0167
Respiratory therapy instruction, 1970s. The respiratory therapy program was developed at University Hospital and in 1970 was moved to the university's newest academic school, the School of Community and Allied Health Resources. Today, the respiratory therapy program is housed within the Department of Critical Care in the UAB School of Health Professions.
Image ID: P7.2.7, #1821
Image ID: P7.3.1, #219
Welcoming the Sun Belt Conference Championship to Birmingham, February 1982. UAB Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach Gene Bartow (right) and Ferd Weil (left) of the Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce hang green and gold welcome banners along UAB streets. The UAB Blazer Men's Team won the conference championship, gaining the school's first Sun Belt title. Bartow was named conference Coach of the Year and UAB player Oliver Robinson was named conference Player of the Year.
Image ID: P7.4.1, #2023
A dental student at work in the School of Dentistry clinic, circa 1958. The dental school was founded in 1948 and the first class graduated in 1952. The clinic facility pictured was completed in 1951 as a portion of the Medical and Dental Basic Science Building (renamed the School of Dentistry Building in 1976).
Image ID: P11, #033
The UAB mascot entertains fans at a Blazer basketball game, circa 1981. On November 24, 1978 the men's basketball team played its first NCAA-level game in front of more than 14,000 fans at the BJCC. The Blazers lost the game to Nebraska. Four days later, the Lady Blazers lost their first game against North Alabama. "Beauregard T. Rooster," the second mascot of UAB, debuted in 1979 and remained the University’s mascot throughout the 1980s.
Image ID: P6, #001
Image ID: P1, #0380b
Image ID: P7.2.7, #2070
Image ID: MC51, #127g