In today’s competitive world the effective execution of value-adding business process and related projects is imperative. The UAB Collat School of Business Management, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods department and the Project Management Institute, Birmingham chapter are again offering the Project Management Certificate Program. The program’s approach provides the content and rigor of a graduate level academic course and practicality provided by practicing project managers.
The course is a non-credit, continuing executive education course and does not require one to be enrolled as a UAB student.
The UAB Collat School of Business recognizes the need for those managing projects to be trained and certified in the Project Management Institute Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®). As of the spring 2014 course, 189 people have completed the course. The program began in 2006 and continues to receive high evaluations of 4.5 out of 5 points. Also, participants continue to give an overwhelming "yes" when asked if they would recommend the course
"I just wanted you to know that I earned by PMP certification last Friday. You provided a great course which helped prepare me for the exam tremendously, so thank you!!!" -Stephanie Millard, Spring 2014 participant
The Certificate Program consists of three course segments which may be taken in sequence or separately.
- First segment- $1,650. The Project Management Body of Knowledge segment is presented by UAB and addresses the PMI Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) with instruction and exercises. This first segment provides 36 contact hours with 20 face-to-face class room hours on Saturdays and 16 hours online instructions. The segment covers the project management knowledge areas and process groups with problem and project solution exercises and examples.
- Second segment- $350. The second segment provides instruction and exercises in the use of the Microsoft Project software tool. This segment provides 8 contact hours with 4 face-to-face class room hours on Saturdays and 4 hours online instructions. Experienced project managers strongly recommend that one has an understanding of project management basics as provided by the first segment course before one attempts to use Microsoft Project.
- Third segment- The third segment is delivered by the PMI Central Alabama Chapter and provides exam prep for the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP®) certificate examination. The exam prep segment is provided and scheduled by the PMI Central Alabama Chapter. The PMP exam preparation segment reviews the PMBOK® from an exam-taking perspective with instructors providing practical pointers for successfully taking and passing the exam. For details and scheduling regarding the third segment please contact the PMI Central Alabama Chapter VP of education at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification go to http://www.pmi.org/Certification.aspx .
The Project Management Certificate Program is offered twice a year with the courses starting in January and September.
See spring 2015 Tentative Schedule
The total cost is $2,000 for segment #1 ($1,650) which covers the Project Management Body of Knowledge and for segment #2 ($350) which address Microsoft® Project Professional 2012. The $2,000 also covers the cost of the international and local PMI membership dues for one year, the course text, refreshments, and parking. Segments may be taken together or separately.
Payment for the first and second segments is to be made to the UAB Project Management Certificate Course by Visa or MasterCard credit cards or by check. If paying by check please mail to the address given in the registration form below.
The schedule for the PMI Central Alabama Chapter Exam Prep Course will be determined and provided by the PMI Central Alabama Chapter. Their website will provide schedule and related information. The Exam Prep Course cost will be determined and collected by the PMI Central Alabama Chapter. Please go to http://www.pmicac.org/ for details.
Classes will be held in the UAB Collat School of Business building at 1150 10th Avenue South in a class room to be determined. Parking is provided in the lot west of the Collat School of Business building on 10th Avenue South.
The PMI 2013 salary survey lists the following yearly, median salaries for the United States:
- Project Manager I - $86K
- Project Manager III - $105K
- Project Manager - $120K
- Portfolio Manager - $126K
The Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential increases your salary by up to 10%, according to the PMI Salary Survey — Sixth Edition, 2009—and helps you stand out and better market yourself to prospective employers.
The course provides the 35 contact hours required by PMI to take the PMP exam. Also, 4,500 hours experience working in project management is required for those with an undergraduate degree. For additional information on the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP) certification I suggest you review the details at http://www.pmi.org/Certification.aspx . Also, you may discuss requirements with the PMI Central Alabama Chapter officers for whom you may find contact information at http://www.pmiac.org/.
UAB Collat School of Business
Department of Management, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods