Undergraduate ProgramsThe UAB Department of Chemistry offers one of the strongest and most innovative chemistry programs in the entire Southeast. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Advising. The department provides a full-time chemistry advisor to help you navigate your degree program and career goals.
- Chemistry Scholars Fellowship Program. A peer-led learning and teaching fellowship program for highly qualified chemistry majors that provides unique research and educational opportunities.
- Honors Program. The Chemistry Honors Program is designed to enhance the problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills of outstanding chemistry majors.
- Research Opportunities. All chemistry majors are actively encouraged to participate in the research programs of the world class faculty at UAB. Research students are eligible for additional scholarships and award competitions, and travel to scientific meetings.
- Pre-Health Professions. Our degree programs provide excellent scientific preparation for all professional entrance exams, including medicine (MD), dentistry (DDM), optometry (OD), or pharmacy (PharmD). UAB chemistry graduates have historically enjoyed greater than a 90% success rate for admission to health professional programs.
- Student Affiliates. The UAB Student Affiliates of the ACS (SAACS), a student-run organization, has received “Outstanding” section awards by the national ACS office.
- Undergraduate Emphasis Programs. UAB offers comprehensive ACS-accredited BS programs in several diverse areas of emphasis, including biochemistry, chemical education, polymer chemistry, and forensic chemistry.
Graduate ProgramsThe graduate chemistry program at UAB is designed to be challenging, yet rewarding. A graduate degree in chemistry requires a dedicated research focus. However, your studies will teach you to think independently and explore the limits of your scientific creativity. At the end of your graduate career, you will have a gratifying sense of accomplishment towards the hard work that you have put in, and the new scientific knowledge that you have produced.
The Department of Chemistry at UAB is uniquely positioned to offer an exceptional graduate program in chemistry. Our graduate curriculum provides a firm foundation for advanced studies in chemistry. Furthermore, UAB is one of the foremost institutions in the US for chemical and biochemical research. In 2015, UAB ranked 10th in the country among public universities for research support provided by the National Institutes of Health.
The Department of Chemistry at UAB hosts state-of-the-art research facilities for basic chemical and biochemical research. In addition, many of our award-winning faculty members interact with interdisciplinary UAB-wide research centers, whose missions encompass both basic and applied science. Many of these facilities and centers are described on the Research and Facilities section of this web site.
We invite you to explore our website and discover the exciting possibilities of graduate research in chemistry at UAB.