Campbell Hall 127
Research and Teaching Interests: Database Systems, Multimedia Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Machine Learning
Office Hours: By appointment
- B.S., Zhejiang University, Computer Sciences
- M.S., Zhejiang University, Computer Sciences
- Ph.D., Florida International University, Computer Sciences
Dr. Chengcui Zhang is the director of the Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Laboratory and the graduate program director at CIS. She has published more than 130 peer-reviewed papers in international journals and conference proceedings, including six IEEE Transaction papers.
Dr. Zhang has been the PI/Co-PI of many research grants from National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, IBM, and eBay, with a total amount of more than 3.8 million dollars. She has served on the program committees of more than 90 international conferences and workshops and taken a leadership role (as a program chair) at the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, the 2012 and the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, the 2012 and 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, and 2010 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (MUE). She also served as a workshop chair and publicity chair several times for IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing, the flagship conference of IEEE Technical Committee on Semantic Computing.
In addition, she is a frequent panelist for National Science Foundation panels and an editorial board member of seven international journals. She is currently the chair of IEEE Technical Committee on Semantic Computing, a steering committee member of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, and the secretary of IEEE Technical Committee on Multimedia Computing. She received an IEEE MUE Outstanding Leadership Award in 2010 and 8 IEEE IRI service awards from 2009-2016. Dr. Zhang is also a frequent reviewer for prestigious journals including IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Knowledge-based Systems, International Journal of Information Sciences, International Journal of Neural Systems, IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, and IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
Research InterestsDr. Zhang’s main research interests include multimedia semantic computing and engineering, data mining and machine learning, semantic integration from multi-modality data sources (e.g., image, video, and text), biomedical computing, computer security and forensics, and geographical information systems.
The current research activities at Dr. Zhang’s KKDM Laboratory focus on the following areas:
- Multimedia forensics for anti-terrorism and identification of online crime forums (e.g., detection of objects-of-interest such as ISIS logos and credit card images on Facebook/Twitter, etc.).
- Spatial-temporal event mining from videos (e.g., person-reidentification and abnormal event mining such as traffic accidents, etc.).
- Image and video databases and content-based information retrieval (e.g., search by image/video example, image classification, and object classification, etc.).
- Collaborative filtering for recommendation systems (e.g., restaurant/hotel recommendation systems, etc.).
- Biomedical image/video data mining (e.g., prediction of bodyfat percentage from 2D photos, machine classification of melanoma and nevi from skin lesions, etc.).
- Multimedia CAPTCHAs (e.g., image/video based CAPTCHAs and their security analysis).
- Image spam and phishing data mining.
- Database Systems
- Object-Oriented Design
- Multimedia Information Retrieval
Select PublicationsMultimedia Databases and Data Mining
- Ligaj Pradhan, Chengcui Zhang, and Pradip Chitrakar. Multi-view clustering in collaborative filtering based rating prediction. In Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing. 250-253.
- Lin Yang, John Johnstone, and Chengcui Zhang. 2010. Ranking canonical views for tourist attractions. International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, 46, No. 2-3 (January, 2010), 573-89.
- Xin Chen, Chengcui Zhang, Shu-Ching Chen, and Stuart H. Rubin. 2009. A human-centered multiple instance learning framework for semantic video retrieval. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Part C, 39, 2, 228-33.
- Xinpeng L. Liao, Pradip Chitrakar, Chengcui Zhang, and Gary Warner. 2015. Object-of-interest retrieval in social media image databases for e-crime forum detection. International Journal of Multimedia Data Engineering & Management, 6, 3.
- Lin Yang, Wei-Bang Chen, Chengcui Zhang, John Johnstone, Gary Warner, and Song Gao. 2012. Profiling Online Auction Sellers by Image Editing Styles. IEEE Multimedia, 19, 1 (Jan. 2012), 29-39.
- Jianhua Yan, Keqi Zhang, Chengcui Zhang, Shu-Ching Chen, and Giri Narasimhan. 2015. Automatic construction of 3D building model from airborne LIDAR data through 2D snake algorithm. IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 53, 1 (Jan. 2012), 3-14.
- Jianhua Yan, Keqi Zhang, Chengcui Zhang, et al. 2007. A graph reduction method for 2D snake problems. In Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR07).
- Wei-Bang Chen and Chengcui Zhang. 2009. A hybrid framework for protein sequences clustering and classification using signature motif information. Journal of Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 16, 4 (Dec. 2009), 353-65.
- Richa Tiwari, Chengcui Zhang, Thamar Solorio, and Wei-Bang Chen. 2012. A supervised machine learning approach of extracting and ranking published papers describing coexpression relationships among genes. Recent Trends in Information Reuse and Integration. Springer-Verlag. Tansel Özyer; Keivan Kian Mehr; Mehmet Tan, eds.
Academic Distinctions and Professional Societies
- Chair, IEEE Technical Committee on Semantic Computing
- Secretary and Newsletter Editor, IEEE Technical Committee on Multimedia Computing
- Steering Committee Voting Member, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo. (ICME)
- Steering Committee Member, Society of Information Reuse and Integration (SIRI)
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (since June 2015)
- International Journal of Multimedia Data Engineering and Management (IJMDEM)
- The Scientific World Journal (impact factor: 1.730)
- The International Journal of Multimedia
- Journal of Advances in Multimedia
- International Journal of u- and e- Service, Science and Technology
- International Journal of Computer and Informatics
- International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering
- The International Journal of Principles and Applications in Information Science and Technology
- 2016 International Symposium on Multimedia, San Jose, CA, USA, December 11-13, 2016
- The 6th FTRA International Conference on Information Technology Convergence and Services, Taipei, Taiwan, Oct. 16-18, 2014
- 2014 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo.
- 2013 IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration
- 2012 IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration
- 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia
- 2010 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering