Mahmut UnanTeaching Assistant Professor
University Hall 4159
Research and Teaching Interests: Medical Image Analysis, Medical Robotics, Digital Image Processing, Algorithms and Data Structure, Computer Organization
Office Hours: W 11:00 am – 12:00 pm; F 9:00 - 11:00 am
- M.S., University of Houston, Computer Science
- Ph.D., University of Houston, Computer Science
My main areas of interest are Medical Image Analysis and Medical robotics. In my research, I aim to develop fast 3D Reconstruction algorithms for tubular structures. To this end, I develop algorithms to collect MRI projection images and perform 3D reconstruction using these projections. I plan to extend my research to data science and machine learning. Processing and volumetric reconstruction of the real-time data is a challenging task. I want to implement Machine Learning algorithms for the object detection and segmentation, in order to increase the speed of the computation, prediction algorithms also will be implemented.
I teach undergraduate level Computer Science courses such as; Introduction to Computer Science, Computer Organization, and Algorithms and Data Structures.
Recent Courses Taught
- CS103: Introduction to Computer Science in Python
- CS303: Algorithms and Data Structures
- CS330: Computer Organization and Machine Language
- M Unan, A.E. Sonmez “Simulation of Dual Modality Probe”, 17th IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, 2017, IEEE DOI 10.1109, pg 373-378
- M Unan, I Seimenis, A.G. Webb, N.V. Tsekos “A method for fast 3D imaging of contrast enhanced vessels or catheters using magnetic resonance projections”, European Journal of Medical Physics, Volume 32, Pg 248, 2016/9/30
- J An, X Liu, M Unan, E.G. Christoforou, A.G. Webb, N.V. Tsekos “ Tracking of MRI Interventional Devices with Computer-Controlled Detunable Markers”, XIV Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 2016, Volume 57 of the series IFMBE Proceedings, pg 659-662
- J An, M Unan, K Chin, D.J. Shah, A.G. Webb, I Seimenis, N.V. Tsekos “3D Reconstruction of Tubular Structures from Three Orthogonal MRI Projections”, XIV Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 2016, Volume 57 of the series IFMBE Proceedings, pg 326-331
- C Temizel, A Tiwari, T Tuna, S. S. Erdogan, M Unan “Optimization of CO2 Sequestration in Reservoirs under Geochemistry and Thermal Effects” Carbon Management Technology Conference, doi:10.7122/438009-MS, November 2015, Sugar Land, Texas
- J An, A. E. Sonmez, M Unan, R.D. Darrow, I. Hancu, R. J. Stafford, A.G. Webb, N.V. Tsekos “Manipulator-mounted optical NMR dual-modality probe for multimodality scanning in MR guided and robot-assisted interventions” Joint Annual Meeting of ISMRM-ESMRMB, Milan, Italy 2014/5
- E Bilgazyev, E Yeniaras, I Uyanik, M Unan, EL Leiss “Sparse representation based face recognition using weighted regions” Proc. SPIE 9067, Sixth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2013), 90671K (December 19, 2013); doi:10.1117/12.2051683.
- E Bilgazyev, E Yeniaras, I Uyanik, M Unan, EL Leiss “Quality enhancement of low-resolution image by using natural images” Proc. SPIE 9067, Sixth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2013), 90671L (December 24, 2013); doi:10.1117/12.2051684.
- E Bilgazyev, I Uyanik, M Unan, D Shah, NV Tsekos, EL Leiss “Using motion correction to improve real-time cardiac MRI reconstruction” Proc. SPIE 9067, Sixth International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV 2013), 90671I (December 24, 2013); doi:10.1117/12.2051669.