EligibilityTo be accepted into the Philosophy Honors Track, a student must:
- be a philosophy major in the general or individually designed track
- have at least sophomore standing
- have completed at least 9 hours in UAB philosophy courses
- have and maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in UAB philosophy course work
- submit a formal application for Honors in Philosophy to the department chair.
Please note that being admitted to the Honors Track is not a guarantee that you will be allowed to write an honors thesis. Ideally you will already have a paper from a previous course that can be developed into an honors thesis.
ApplicationsYou can pick up an application from the department office or by downloading the pdf. You should identify a faculty sponsor who will recommend you for the program.
It is the chair's responsibility to formally approve admission into the track. Admission, which can be expected by any student who meets the eligibility requirements, is acknowledged by a letter of invitation to the student to join. If you later decide to move or return to the general or individualized track, simply tell the chair.