Q: Do I need a BSW to apply?

No. The MSW is designed for students from all backgrounds. 

Q: Does the program accept part-time students?

No. The program is currently only accepting full-time students.

Q: Is “advanced standing” offered?

Yes. Advanced standing is available for students holding a BSW from an accredited program. 

Q: What if I don’t meet the GPA requirements?

The GPA requirement is a requirement of the UAB Graduate School.  Exceptions may be considered but, should not be anticipated.

Q: Is the GRE required?

No. The GRE is not required.

Q: Can I apply for a dual MPH Degree?

A combined MSW-MPH is currently not offered.

Q: Is this an online program?

No. While some courses may be offered online our program is not an online program.

Q: Are evening classes  offered?

Yes.  Some classes are offered in the evening.  However, it is not possible to graduate taking evening classes exclusively. 

Q: Are field placements available in the evening or on weekends?

Yes.  There are opportunities for evening and weekend field placements depending upon the agency.

Q: Can I start the MSW program in spring or summer?

No, we only admit students for fall entry.

Q: Can I take classes during the summer?

Yes, some courses are offered in summer, but these are usually electives.

Q: Is it required that I submit a recommendation letter from a former professor?

We encourage applicants to submit one academic and one professional (e.g. work supervisor) reference, but we understand that this may not be possible for all applicants.