Heritage Hall 460A
Research and Teaching Interests: Health Disparities, The Life Course, Substance Abuse
Office Hours: By appointment
- BA, Millsaps College, Sociology
- MS, Indiana University, Applied Statistics
- PhD, Indiana University, Sociology
Hi there! I’m Joseph D. Wolfe, but everybody calls me J.D. for short. I’m an assistant professor of sociology here at UAB. I became interested in sociology after taking my first sociology course when I was a freshman in college. I was blown away when I learned the extent to which our social environments shape our lives. During graduate school my studies were focused on the social determinants of health in the US.
My current research examines the social processes triggered by adversities (e.g., family poverty and parental substance abuse) that are capable of shaping health throughout the life course and across generations. More specifically, I’m working on projects that aim to identify the relationship between educational attainment and mortality, clarify the effects of social and material resources on early-life mental health, and untangle the influences of childhood adversity and substance use on health.
- Drugs and Society
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Statistics
- Social Structure and Personality
- Categorical Data Analysis
- Wolfe, Joseph D. Forthcoming. “The Effects of Maternal Alcohol Use Disorders on Childhood Relationships and Mental Health.” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology.
- Pavalko, Eliza K., and Joseph D. Wolfe. 2016. "Do Women Still Care? Cohort Changes in U.S. Women's Care for the Ill or Disabled.” Social Forces 94: 1359-1384.
- Pavalko, Eliza K., and Joseph D. Wolfe. 2016. “Unpaid Care Work.” In Madonna Harrington Meyer and Elizabeth Daniele (eds.), Gerontology: Changes, Challenges, and Solutions. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger. 181-203.
- Joseph D. Wolfe, "The Effects of Socioeconomic Status on Child and Adolescent Physical Health: An Organization and Systematic Comparison of Measures," Social Indicators Research 123 (2015): 39-58.
- Joseph D. Wolfe and Shawn Bauldry, “Collecting and Organizing Stata Graphs,” The Stata Journal 14 (2014): 965-74.
- Joseph D. Wolfe, “Health Disparities,” in Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Health, Illness, Behavior, and Society, William C. Cockerham, Robert Dingwall, Stella Quah, eds. (Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2014), 939-43.
- Joseph D. Wolfe, “Age at First Birth and Alcohol Use,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 50 (2009): 395-409.
- American Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Southern Sociological Society