Instructions to access the UAB Faculty and Staff
Learning Management System (LMS), formerly Health Stream,
to complete the required UAB/UABHS HIPAA Privacy and Security Training
Before any training module or requirement can be accessed via the LMS, the employee’s personnel “paperwork” must be complete in the appropriate human resources system. Once that is completed, a new employee must create a BlazerID and password. If the employee is transferring into a HIPAA covered entity and already has a BlazerID and password, time will be required for the transfer to be completed in the system as well. The process from completion of employee personnel documents, to creating BlazerID and password, to having the required UAB/UABHS HIPAA Privacy and Security Training appear under the 'To Do' tab in the LMS should take approximately 24 hours, but could take up to 72 hours.
Once the above issues are fulfilled, follow these steps to access the required HIPAA training (please note that if the new employee attends a new employee orientation at which the required HIPAA training is presented, the credit for the training will be given in the LMS and completing the online course is not required):
- Go to the link: www.uab.edu/learningsystem (Internet Explorer is the preferred browser.)
- Select ‘Learning System (LMS) Login’
- Log in using your BlazerID and password
- If an option, click to place the radial button under ‘Student’ and select ‘Login’; if no option provided, skip this step
- Select ‘To Do’ from the tabs across the top
- Select 'UAB/UABHS HIPAA Training' under ‘My To Do List’
- Under 'Choose a Course', select the second option ‘UAB/UABHS HIPAA Privacy and Security Online Training’ by clicking on ‘Enroll’ next to the Online training
- Click on 'View' next to 'Presentation’
- Click 'Open' next to 'HIPAA Presentation’
- Presentation slides will display
- View all training slides
- When completed, exit by selecting the ‘X’ at the top right of the screen
- The question, 'Have you completed the presentation?' will appear; if you completed the presentation and are ready for the post-test, select 'Yes, mark it complete'
- Click on 'Start' next to 'Post Test' and read the instructions
- Click on 'Start Test'
- Complete the post-test as presented being careful to answer each of the 16 questions
- Select 'complete test'
- An evaluation of the course is available, yet optional
- Successful complete (a score of 75% or better) will automatically be recorded by the LMS; if unsuccessful, repeat these steps