Instructions for accessing the UAB Faculty and Staff
Learning Management System (LMS), formerly Health Stream,
to complete the required UAB/UABHS Privacy and Security Training
Before any training module or requirement can be accessed via the LMS, the student must be entered into Banner. Once that is completed, a new student must create a BlazerID and password. If the student already has a BlazerID and password, but is newly associated with a HIPAA covered entity, time will be required for the HIPAA training to appear in his/her assignment list. The process from entering into Banner to creating BlazerID and password to having the required UAB/UABHS HIPAA Privacy and Security Training appear under the ‘To Do’ tab in the LMS could be up to 48 hours.
Once the above issues are fulfilled, follow these steps to access the required HIPAA training:
- Go to the link: www.uab.edu/learningsystem (Internet Explorer is the preferred browser.)
- Select ‘Learning System (LMS) Login’
- Log in using your BlazerID and password
- If an option, click to place the radial button under ‘Student’ and select ‘Login’; if no option provided, skip this step
- Select ‘To Do’ from the tabs across the top
- Select 'UAB/UABHS HIPAA Training' under ‘My To Do List’
- Under 'Choose a Course', select the second option ‘UAB/UABHS HIPAA Privacy and Security Online Training’ by clicking on ‘Enroll’ next to the Online training
- Click on 'View' next to 'Presentation’
- Click 'Open' next to 'HIPAA Presentation’
- Presentation slides will display
- View all training slides
- When completed, exit by selecting the ‘X’ at the top right of the screen
- The question, 'Have you completed the presentation?' will appear; if you completed the presentation and are ready for the post-test, select 'Yes, mark it complete'
- Click on 'Start' next to 'Post Test' and read the instructions
- Click on 'Start Test'
- Complete the post-test as presented being careful to answer each of the 16 questions
- Select 'complete test'
- An evaluation of the course is available, yet optional
- Successful complete (a score of 75% or better) will automatically be recorded by the LMS; if unsuccessful, repeat these steps