The Department of Periodontology is actively engaged in clinical and translational research that truly focuses upon the UAB School of Dentistry’s core values: excellence, patient-centered, innovation, and unity of purpose. We aim to conduct research that meets the highest standards in a state-of-the-art facility to provide benefits to our patients and to expand the knowledge base in periodontology. Our research interests include periodontal-systemic connection, innovative regenerative technologies, endosseous dental implant innovations, epigenetics, and the periodontal microbiome.
Active studies include:
- APART (Autoantibodies and Periodontal Health Assessment in Rheumatoid Arthritis)
- Performance of Microtextured Implants (NCT0181417)
- Performance of Growth Factor in Vertical Defects (NCT01728844)
- Performance of Enamel Matrix Derivatives in Horizontal Bone Loss
- A Prospective Study of Augmentation Techniques in Extraction Sites (NCT01836783)
Department Publications 2013-2014
- Geisinger ML, Abou-Arraj RV, Souccar NM, Holmes CM, Geurs NC. Decision making in the treatment of patients with malocclusion and chronic periodontitis: scientific evidence and clinical experience. Semin Orthod 2014;20:170-176.
- Cardaropoli D, Gaveglio L, Abou-Arraj RV. Orthodontic Movement and Periodontal Bone Defects: Rationale, Timing and Clinical Implications. Semin Orthod 2014;20:177-187.
- Abou-Arraj RV, Majzoub Z, Holmes C, Geisinger ML, Geurs NC. Healing time for final restorative therapy following surgical crown lengthening procedures: A review of related evidence. Clin Adv Periodontics 2015;5:131-139.
- Bain JL, Bonvallet PP, Abou-Arraj RV, Schupbach P, Reddy MS, Bellis SL. Enhancement of the regenerative potential of anorganic bone grafts utilizing a calcium binding domain to anchor osteoinductive peptides. [submitted to Tissue Engineering]
- Kaur M, Geisinger ML, Geurs NC, Griffin R, Vassilopoulos PJ, Vermeulen L, Haigh S, Reddy MS. Effect of intensive oral hygiene regimen during pregnancy on periodontal health, cytokine levels and pregnancy outcomes: a pilot study. J Periodontol 85(12): 1684-1692, 2014.
- Reynolds MA, Kao RT, Nares S, Camargo PM, Caton JG, Clem DS, Fiorellini JP, Geisinger ML, Mills MP, Nevins ML, Rosen PS. Periodontal Regeneration -- Intrabony defects: Practical Applications from the AAP Regeneration workshop. Clin Adv Periodontol 5(1): 21-29, 2015.
- Reynolds MA, Kao RT, Camargo PM, Caton JG, Clem DS, Fiorellini JP, Geisinger ML, Mills MP, Nares S, Nevins ML. Periodontal Regeneration – Intrabony Defects: A consensus Report From the AAP Regeneration Workshop. J Periodontol 86: S105-S107, 2015.
- Avila-Ortiz G, De Buitrago JG, Reddy MS. Periodontal Regeneration – Furcation Defects: A systematic review from the AAP Regeneration Workshop. J Periodontol 86: S108-S130, 2015.
- Reddy MS, Aichelmann-Reidy ME, Avila-Ortiz G, Klokkevold PR, Murphy KG, Rosen PS, Shcallhorm RG, Sculean A, Wang H-L. Periodontal Regeneration – Furcation Defects: A Consensus Report from the AAP Regeneration Workshop. J Periodontol 86: S131-133, 2015.
- Reddy MS, Kornman KS. The five A’s of enhanced clinical care: the American Academy of Periodontology Regeneration Workshop scores straight A’s. J Periodontol 86(2): 173-174, 2015.
- Aichelmann-Reidy ME, Avila-Ortiz G, Klokkevold PR, Murphy KG, Rosen PS, Schallhorm RG, Sculean A, Wang H-L, Reddy MS. Periodontal Regeneration – Furcation Defects: Practical Applications from the AAP Regeneration Workshop. Clin Adv Periodontol 5(1): 30-39.
- Bain JL, Culpepper BK, Reddy MS, Bellis SL. Comparing variable-length polyglutamate domains to anchor an osteoinductive collagen-mimetic peptide to diverse bone grafting materials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 29(6): 1437-1445, 2014.
- Kaur M, Holmes CM, Geurs NC, Geisinger ML. Does adjunctive use of Ω-3 fatty acids improve periodontal health and/or outcomes of periodontal therapy? A review of current literature. In Preparation.
- Geisigner ML, Trammell K, Holmes CM, Geurs NC. Does adjunctive use of growth factors improve clinical outcomes and/or root coverage in the treatment of Miller Class III recession defects. Under Review Clin Adv Periodontol
- Randall EF, Griffen R, Geisinger ML, Abou Arraj RV, Geurs NC. The effects of dental implant collar designs on crestal bone loss at one year after placement. Submitted IJOMI
- Geisinger ML, Hyman L, Michalowicz B, Schoenfeld ER, Gelato MC, Engebretson SP, Hou W, Seaquist ER, Reddy MS, Lewis CE, Oates TW, Katancik JA, Paquette DW, Hanson NQ, Tsai MY. Nonsurgical Periodontal Treatment in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus and Serum Biomarker Profile Changes. In Preparation
- Metzger L, Kaur M, Geurs NC, Geisinger ML. Periimplantitis risk factors: A retrospective analysis. In Preparation
- Wang HL, Romanos GE, Geurs NC, Sullivan A, Suarez-Lopez Del Amo F, Eber RM. Comparison of two differently processed acellular dermal matrix products for root coverage procedures: a prospective, randomized multicenter study. J Periodontol 85(12): 1693-1701, 2014
- Ntounis A, Geurs N, Vassilopoulos P, Reddy M. Subjective Assessment of bone quality of human extraction sockets after conversion with growth factors. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 29: 2014. (doi:10.11607/jomi.3518) (Epub Ahead of Print).
- Ntounis A, Geurs N, Vassilopoulos P, Reddy M. Clinical assessment of bone quality of human extraction sockets after conversion with growth factors. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 30: 196-201, 2015.
- Geurs N et al. Task Force Report on the Update to the 1999 Classification of Periodontal Diseases and Conditions, http://www.perio.org/resources-products/clinical-scientific-papers.html
- Recipient of the R. Earl Robinson Regeneration Award presented to the year’s most outstanding published article on periodontal regeneration in the basic or clinical sciences.
- 2014 Platelet-derived growth factor promotes periodontal regeneration in localized osseous defects: 36-month extension results from randomized controlled, double-masked clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2013 Apr; 84(4):456-64: Myron Nevins, Robert J. Genco, William V. Giannobile, James E. Hinrichs, Richard T. Kao, Samuel E. Lynch, Bradley S. McAllister, Pamela K. McClain, Michael K. McGuire, Dr. Marc K. Nevins, Michael S. Reddy
- Kivus EA, Montero DA, Abou-Arraj RV. Connective Tissue Grafting Without Elevation of Crestal Keratinized Tissue at Time of Immediate Implant Placement and Provisionalization. Academy of Osseointegration Poster Presentation, San Fransisco, March 2015.
- Blasingame E, Montero D, Givan D, Abou-Arraj RV. Treatment of Partial Edentulism using CAD/CAM Guided Surgery in Conjunction with Full Mouth Reconstruction: A Case Report. Academy of Osseointegration Poster Presentation, San Fransisco, March 2015.
- Singh J, Kaur M, Hardy SL, Reddy MS, Geurs NC, Geisinger ML. Radiographic Analysis Evaluating Implant Surface Topography and Linear Bone Loss. J Dent Res 94:4018, 2015.
- Metzger L, Kaur M, Geurs N, Geisinger ML. Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Have Higher Rates of Peri-implantitis. J Dent Res 94:4394, 2015.
- Garner E, Geurs NC, Geisinger ML. Periodontal inflamed surface area is correlated to Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms. SCADA, 2014.
- Blasingame EM, Barocio R, Kaur M, O'Neal SJ. Autogenous Mandibular Bone Grafts and Osseointegrated Implants for Reconstruction of the Severely Atrophied Maxilla: A Case Report. Academy of Osseointegration’s 30th Annual Meeting, March 12-14, 2015.