This program accepts internationally trained dentists only (DDS, BDS, or equivalent).
Candidates must pass Part I and Part II of the National Boards to qualify for admission into the program.
Candidates who wish to apply to the program must submit the following materials. Information on the program can be found on the ADEA website.
- Application form: Applicants should complete applications through the ADEA CAAPID service (www.adea.org/CAAPIDapp/).
- TOEFL: For any students who do not speak English as a primary language, TOEFL iBT scores must be provided through CAAPID.
- National Board Dental Examination, Part I and Part II: Results from the NBDE Part I and Part II must be provided through CAAPID.
- Letters of evaluation: Program requires three Letters of Evaluation from former teachers or mentors who can attest to applicant's character, conduct, and professional ability. If possible one or more of the three letters should be from a dentist practicing in the United States who supervised or worked with the applicant in a clinical or educational setting.
- Educational transcripts: Applicant must submit an official, detailed, course-by-course evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) through CAAPID.
- Application fee: After completing the CAAPID application, a program specific application fee is required. A money order or cashier’s check for $175 should be sent to the address listed below or payment may be made online here.
IDP candidates applying for admission in January 2020 must apply between March 1 and May 24, 2019. All materials must be received in our office prior to May 24th to be considered for an interview. The class starts in January; generally immediately after the New Year’s Day holiday.
Candidates may be invited to travel to UAB for an interview. This interview includes a preclinical exercise to evaluate hand skills in addition to a dental case to evaluate critical thinking skills. All items necessary for the exercise are provided for the candidate. The fee for this evaluation is $250. Additional materials will need to be provided directly to UAB if selected for an interview.
UAB School of Dentistry
International Dental Program
1720 Second Ave. South, SDB 122
Birmingham, AL 35294-0007