Guidelines for Seeking Admission
•Contact the TL Program Director: Dr. Susan Spezzini, 205-934-8357 firstname.lastname@example.org
and follow the admission instructions
•Read UAB's Teacher Leadership handbook.
•Email an attachment of your EXP form to Sha'Niethia Johnson (@uab.edu)
•Set up an application account at the Apply Yourself website and select the following:
•Submit degree-seeking application by the corresponding deadline for a targeted semester:
Nov. 1st spring, April 1st summer, July 1st fall
•Prepare your TL portfolio and participate in a TL interview
•Receive admission letter from the Graduate School and UAB's Information Packet for EdS students
•Register for class and pay tuition (NOTE: During the 2012-13 school year, the tuition and fees for a 5-hour TL module were $1,905. Yearly increments may occur.)
Steps for Submitting an Admission Application
(1) Learn about UAB's Teacher Leader program. After reading this website and the Teacher Leader Handbook, make an appointment to meet with Dr. Spezzini email@example.com.
(2) Obtain a passing score on one of the following admission exams:
Miller Analogies Test (MAT): minimum of 388 scaled (35 raw)
Graduate Record Exam (GRE): minimum of 290 current (850 former)
(3) Go to the ApplyYourself website. Create an account, write down your username and password, and log out. After receiving an email from the ApplyYourself website, you should log in and proceed with submitting an application. NOTE: If you submitted another type of application to UAB in the past, you will need to create a new ApplyYourself account.
(4) Plan to submit all required application materials by the admission deadline:
April 1st for summer admission
July 1st for fall admission
November 1st for spring admission
(5) Submit a Degree-Seeking Application to the Graduate School for admission to your degree program. On a drop-down menu, select the following:
• Education—Educational Specialist (EdS)
Select the following concentration: Teacher leader
(6) Pay $45 ($60 for international students*) online with a credit card.
NOTE: Mailing a check will severely delay your admission.
*International Students should contact UAB's International Recruitment and Student Services (IRSS) for additional information.
(7) Request official transcripts from all colleges attended (even if just for one course and even if you happened to take that course during high school). Request that your former colleges send official transcripts directly to each of these addresses:
UAB Graduate School
1720 2nd Avenue South-LHL G03
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013
UAB School of Education, Office of Student Services
1720 2nd Avenue South-EB 100
Birmingham, AL 35294-1250
(8) If you have any questions or concerns, ask Dr. Spezzini: firstname.lastname@example.org . As the Program Director, she will be able to find answers for your questions. If you do not receive a response from Dr. Spezzini within two or three days, please follow up with another email. NOTE: Going from office to office searching for answers is not a productive approach to the admission process.
(9) Periodically check the status of your application by clicking here: Check Admission Status. You may also inquire about your status by contacting the Graduate School (205-934-8227 email@example.com ). Once you receive confirmation that all of your application materials have been received, it will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your application to be processed. If you are experiencing difficulties in confirming the receipt of your application materials, you should contact Dr. Spezzini, firstname.lastname@example.org .
(10) You will receive a letter from the Graduate School congratulating you on your admission as a degree-seeking student. You will probably also receive an email from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction (C&I) at the School of Education (SOE).
(11) As soon as you can, follow through with all instructions provided in your admission letter from the Graduate School especially with respect to processing your BlazerID and UAB email.
(12) After you have obtained your BlazerID and email, you will be able to register for classes. Depending on when you register, there will be a deadline for paying the first half of your tuition. Failure to meet this deadline will cause you to be automatically dropped from your courses, and you will need to pay a reinstatement fee.