All students should get the latest copy of the School of Education TEP Handbook. This is used in EDU 200, Education as a Profession. This handbook outlines the steps and requirements for the Teacher Education Program (TEP).
If you have not yet been admitted to TEP, you should seek advising about the program through the Office of Student Services, EB 100. Your academic advisor will be happy to talk with you about specifics of your course requirements.
For those admitted to TEP, here are some key reminders:
1. Keep your GPA up to standard - 2.5 required in your program courses.
2. Apply for student teaching in the January preceding the academic year in which you want to student teach . All students must apply for student teaching. Student teaching applications may be acquired in the Office of Student Services, EB room 100. For more information, call 934-7530.
3. Apply for your degree (in EB 100) priot to beginning your last semester. See specific deadlines posted outside of EB 100 or call 934-7530.
4. Apply for your teaching certificate (in EB 100) at the beginning of the term in which you are student teaching. See specific deadlines posted outside of EB 100, call 934-7530.
5. Portfolio - You are required to keep, and update, a Teaching Portfolio throughout your program. You begin working on this in EDU 200. This will be screened at various points, including TEP admissions and at the end of student teaching. A successful portfolio is required for a recommendation of certification from the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE).
6. A good place to start looking for a teaching job is: UAB Career Services