English Language Learner (ELL) Education - Assistant Professor (Tenure Track)
The Department of Curriculum & Instruction in the School of Education (SOE) at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) seeks an Assistant Professor of English Language Learner Education for a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track position.
The successful candidate will provide evidence of:
- a doctorate in Applied Linguistics, English and Applied Linguistics, English as a Second Language, English Language Learning, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, Modern Languages, or a similar field (from a School of Education or an English or Modern Languages Department) with a minimum of 30 graduate semester hours in ESL and/or ESL-related courses;
- a minimum of three years of successful public school experience teaching ESL in grades K-12 and/or serving as an ESL resource specialist, plus at least one year teaching ESL and/or English composition to ELLs in higher education settings and preferably also at least one year teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language) abroad in schools and/or language institutes;
- successful teaching experience at the university level, especially ESL teacher education courses, and also overseeing field experience and internships of teacher preparation students;
- a commitment to scholarly pursuits as evidenced by an active research agenda, an emerging publication record, and presentations at all levels, including national and international;
- strong collaboration and outreach skills as evidenced through active service roles in professional organizations at all levels, from local (e.g., AMTESOL) to national/ international (e.g., TESOL or AAAL), as well as in national accreditation entities (e.g., Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Preparation);
- knowledge of and experience using technology-assisted instruction;
- successful experience implementing externally-funded projects and a commitment to seeking external funding;
- successful experience working with urban institutions of higher education, urban school systems, and/or other educational institutions with diverse populations in order to implement high quality programs for ELLs; and
- experience and a commitment to working with community advocacy efforts for the ELL populations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- teaching 18 credit hours (or the equivalent) per academic year in the SOE. These courses will be required graduate courses within the master’s degree program in ESL teacher education for the K-12 track and also the adult track. They will include (but are not limited to): Second Language Acquisition, Teaching ESL in a Multicultural Society, Grammar for ESL Teachers, Methods for Teaching English as an International Language, and Curriculum, Programs, and Policies (for ELLs);
- supervising field experience placements in K-12 and adult ESL settings (as required by certain courses), which includes coordinating the Community English Classes—SOE’s “Lab School” for graduate students preparing to teach ESL to adult learners;
- integrating knowledge of professional standards and educational technology into the SOE’s teacher education courses;
- serving as faculty advisor to degree-seeking SOE students in the ESL teacher education program for the K-12 track and also adult track;
- participating with accreditation efforts in the SOE;
- engaging in appropriate scholarly activities, including research and publication in refereed journals;
- providing service within the university (department, school, and campus) plus also at the local, state, regional, and national/international levels; and
- collaborating with UAB entities that provide services for international students and scholars and with community agencies that advocate for ELLs and their families.
Applying for the Position
Application will be made by sending a complete and current Curriculum Vitae, a cover letter, names and contact information (including telephone numbers and email addresses) for at least three professional references, and official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to: Lynn Kirkland, Ed.D., Chair, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, School of Education, EB #100, 1720 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-1250. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
- Assistant Professor position in English Language Learner (ELL) Education - 9 month, tenure-track
- UABTeach Master Teacher (Science)
- UABTeach Master Teacher (Math)
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.