Enroll in our English as a Second Language (ESL) Master's Program, and you will gain expertise for teaching ESL in P-12 or adult settings. We offer courses in second language acquisition, grammar and linguistics, phonology, methods for teaching ESL, curriculum and policies, teaching new languages through reading and writing, multicultural society, engaging families and communities, teaching emergent bilinguals in early childhood settings, and strategies for teaching math and science to English language learners. In addition, as of the first semester, you will have opportunities for hands-on teaching experiences through diverse field experiences and internships.

Enroll in our Education Specialist (EdS) program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and you will gain expertise beyond your master’s degree in education or ESL. Teachers with Alabama's Class A certification in ESOL will pursue the EdS-TESOL's certification track and earn Class AA certification in ESOL. All other educators, including ESL teachers of adult learners, will pursue the EdS-TESOL's non-certification track, which can be pursued fully online.

For more information, visit www.uab.edu/esl.

Note: Programs highlighted in blue are offered fully online.

Graduate Degrees

Alternative Masters Degree (Class A Certification with Three Tracks)

Traditional Masters Degree (Class A Certification with Three Tracks)

Masters Degree (Non-Certification)

Educational Specialist (EdS Degree with Two Tracks)

Learn more about our graduate programs

Download an information packet. If you are already a certified teacher, you will be pursuing the traditional MA or the EdS; please contact the program coordinator in that packet. If you are not a certified teacher and wish to become a teacher, please contact Dr. Susan Spezzini and attend an information session for the Alternative Master’s Program.

 Graduate Program Information Packet Information Session
Alternative Master's Program Download Mondays 5:00-6:30 pm
Traditional Master's Program Download Contact coordinator (See page 2 of information packet)
Educational Specialist Program Download Contact coordinator (See page 2 of information packet)

Want to switch careers to become a teacher?

The Alternative Masters Program (AMP) is designed for individuals who hold an undergraduate degree in a field outside of education who want to become certified teachers. Once you complete the AMP, you will earn an alternative Class A certification in your specific teaching field along with a Master's degree. Learn more details in the AMP Information Packet.

English as a Second Language Faculty

Related Resources

Have questions? Contact us:

Susan Spezzini, Ph.D.
Program Director
By Phone: 205-934-8357
By E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.