Our UAB Special Education Program features interdisciplinary, graduate-level courses that are both rigorous and innovative. We offer specialties such as the Collaborative Teacher (CT) K-12, Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE), and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). We also have a Collaborative Special Education Degree with a concentration in reading, and we are home to Alabama’s first Ed.S., degree program in Collaborative Special Education with a concentration in autism spectrum disorders.

As a student, you will learn early intervention and preschool curriculum and methods, collaborative processes, technology applications, physical and healthcare support in early childhood education, lesson planning, and positive behavioral supports. And, because you are a busy professional, we have classes in the afternoons, early evenings, weekends, and during the summer for your convenience. We also offer classes online and in blended formats that combine both online and on-campus sessions.

Note: Programs highlighted in blue are offered fully online.

Graduate degrees

Alternative Masters Degrees

Traditional Masters Degrees

Educational Specialist Degrees

Learn more about our graduate programs

Download an information packet. If you are already a certified teacher, you will be pursuing the traditional MA or the EdS; please contact the program coordinator in that packet. If you are not a certified teacher and wish to become a teacher, please contact Dr. Susan Spezzini and attend an information session for the Alternative Master’s Program.

 Graduate Program Information Packet Information Session
Alternative Master's Program Download Mondays 5:00-6:30 pm
Traditional Master's Program Download Contact coordinator (See page 2 of information packet)
Educational Specialist Program Download Contact coordinator (See page 2 of information packet)

Want to switch careers to become a teacher?

The Alternative Masters Program (AMP) is designed for individuals who hold an undergraduate degree in a field outside of education who want to become certified teachers. Once you complete the AMP, you will earn an alternative Class A certification in your specific teaching field along with a Master's degree. Learn more details in the AMP Information Packet.

Special Education Faculty

Related Resources

Have questions? Contact us:

Robin Ennis, Ph.D.
Program Director
By Phone: 205-975-6152
By E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.