lab_person_clipart_92x118_trans“Tax-free” ethanol is federally controlled. Both the 200 and 190 proof ethanol must be secured at all times except when withdrawals are made. Laboratories are subject to inspection at any time by a federal Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) Inspector or other officials.

Because it is federally controlled, it can only be purchased with UAB’s Industrial Alcohol User Permit for specific research or medical purposes.  The specific use and amount withdrawn must be documented when the alcohol is removed from a locked storage cabinet in the laboratory.

If only a relatively small amount is needed, consider reagent alcohol.