UAB is committed to reviewing and responding to student complaints appropriately. A complaint is an expression of discontent based on the result of behavior or circumstances that the student believes are unjust, unsafe, inequitable, or create an unnecessary hardship. Students who attempt to resolve issues directly with the appropriate parties and are not satisfied may file formal written complaints.
Complaints should include any involved parties so that UAB can fully investigate the concern. One Stop Student Services receives complaints submitted through the BlazerNET Complaint System, directs them to appropriate campus offices (when necessary), and ensures that students receive feedback. Students may not make anonymous complaints in BlazerNET, nor may they make complaints on behalf of other individuals.
- Students submit formal complaints using the online form in BlazerNET, including involved parties and other relevant information. Students who wish to discuss a potential complaint in more detail may contact One Stop Student Services directly. Students should direct some complaints to the appropriate departments identified in the links listed below.
- A senior staff member of the One Stop will acknowledge receipt and consult with the student to verify the information submitted is accurate and complete.
- The One Stop staff member will consult the appropriate person(s) in the department/office that most closely relates to the complaint.
- One Stop Student Services will work with the department/office to ensure that the complaint is researched and responded to in a reasonable timeframe, preferably within ten (10) business days. The One Stop staff member will periodically update the student on the status of the complaint. If necessary, the One Stop staff member will communicate the resolution to the student.
- The One Stop staff member will acknowledge that the complaint has been resolved, document it accordingly, and close the issue.
Students who wish to move forward with complaints at the state level can view the Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) student complaint process.
Other Complaint Systems
Complaint Process at State Level
Students wishing to file a complaint at the state level should choose the appropriate state from the State and Territories Listing. Also provided is a full list of state agency contacts in html format.
Out-of-State Student Complaint
Please see the State and Territories Listing for contact information.
In addition the student may visit the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) Student Complaint Process for more information.
File a Complaint through SACSCOC
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Complaints filed against UAB with SACSCOC must adhere to strict criteria. Find more information on how to file a complaint with SACSCOC.
File a Disability-Related Complaint
UAB is dedicated to your success as one of our students. If your complaint is related to accessibility or reasonable accommodations, please take advantage of the expertise and assistance available to you through UAB’s Disability Support Services, if you have not already done that. If you are unable to reach a solution to your complaint, you may submit an official written complaint through BlazerNET under the "Links/Forms" section or through the BlazerNET Complaint System. (See Formal Written Complaint Process for full details.)
You may file a complaint that UAB is unable to resolve through Alabama’s State Portal Agency (See File a Complaint with Alabama’s State Portal Agency or Your State Agency for full details.)
If you are ultimately unable to resolve your complaint, we are providing you with resources that can assist you. You may file a formal American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice or you may file a formal Office of Civil Rights (OCR) complaint with the U.S. Department of Education.
File a Veterans-Related Complaint
UAB is proud to partner with the Veterans Administration to provide VA Yellow Ribbon benefits to qualified students. At UAB, we are grateful for your service to our country and we are absolutely dedicated to your success as one of our students. If your complaint is related to your status as a veteran, please take advantage of the expertise and assistance available to you through UAB’s Veteran Recruitment and Student Services, if you have not already done that. You can speak directly to a veteran who is the coordinator of the Veteran Recruitment & Student Services. He can provide you with support and advocacy and is happy to assist you with your needs.
If you are unable to reach a solution to your complaint, you may submit an official written complaint through BlazerNET under the "Links/Forms" section or through the BlazerNET Complaint System. (See Formal Written Complaint Process for full details.)
You may file a complaint that UAB is unable to resolve, through Alabama’s State Portal Agency. (See File a Complaint with Alabama’s State Portal Agency or Your State Agency for full details.)
If you are unable to resolve your complaint ultimately, we are providing you with resources that can assist you. You may file a formal Veteran’s complaint with the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs.