Quality Matters (QM)™ is a faculty-centered, peer review process that is designed to certify the quality of online and hybrid/blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received international recognition for its peer-based approach and continuous improvement in online education and student learning.
As a subscriber, UAB offers faculty and staff many benefits including on campus and online Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) workshops and the Introduction to Quality Matters workshop.
Introduction to Quality Matters
Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process that is designed to certify the quality of online and hybrid/blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach and continuous improvement in online education and student learning. In this session, participants will learn about UAB’s QM initiative and the QM professional development opportunities available through UAB. In addition, participants will learn a bout internal and official course review processes.
- Identify the primary components of Quality Matters.
- Summarize UAB’s QM initiative and the benefits associated with the QM full subscription.
- Identify the elements of the QM Higher Education Rubric, Sixth Edition.
- Explain the processes for internal and official course reviews.
- Explain the process of becoming a QM Certified Peer Reviewer.
Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) Workshop
The Quality Matters' flagship workshop on the Quality Matters (QM) Rubric and its use in reviewing the design of online and blended courses is intended for a broad audience, including but not limited to faculty, instructional designers, administrators, and adjunct instructors. It is particularly helpful to those new to QM or those considering the adoption of a quality assurance process for online and blended learning. In addition to learning about the QM Rubric and the course review process, participants will learn to apply the concept of alignment and draft helpful recommendations for course improvement. The APPQMR workshop is the prerequisite for the Peer Reviewer Course, which is the required course to become a QM Peer Reviewer. This workshop is offered in person via two half-day workshops, one full day workshop and online via a two week course.
- Recognize the foundational concepts of Quality Matters.
- Identify the critical elements of the QM quality assurance program, including the QM Rubric, materials, processes, and administrative components.
- Apply the QM Rubric to review online courses.
- Make decisions on whether the demo course meets selected QM Rubric Standards.
- Apply the concept of alignment.
- Draft helpful recommendations for course improvement by citing annotations from the QM Rubric and evidence from the course.
Attendees must successfully complete the course requirements to receive course credit. There is no cost to register or participate in these workshops.