The Office of the Vice Provost for Student and Faculty Success have implemented a Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey for the purpose of inviting all individuals who have applied for [full-time or part-time regular] faculty positions at UAB to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity and gender information. The data collected from the surveys will be used to generate the Faculty Recruitment Experience Report; a tool that summarizes faculty candidate and search committee information. This data will also be used to help ensure that UAB is meeting its obligations as a federal government contractor, including taking affirmative action to ensure diversity in the employment process.
Affirmative Action, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.
The Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey for Faculty will be administered as follows, for all individuals who have applied for [full-time and part-time regular] faculty positions at UAB:
- The hiring department administrator or the Affirmative Action Officer (AAO) will initiate the Survey Request Form; which generates an email to the applicant requesting that he/she voluntarily complete and submit the survey.
- The system allows for a single request or multiple requests to be submitted at once.
- The applicant/candidate receives an email from UAB (sent by AAO or department administrator) with an invitation to voluntarily complete the Self-Identification Survey.
- Applicant/candidate completes and submits the Self-Identification Survey Form, and they will receive confirmation when the form has been successfully submitted.
- The AAO receives e-mail confirmation that a Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey Request Form has been sent to the applicant/candidate. An electronic weekly confirmation report will be sent to the Affirmative Action Officer each Sunday night just after midnight. This email also confirms which applicants have responded to the survey.
The email will contain a link that allows the AAO to access and review each applicant’s survey results.
- In this step, the AAO can view or print a report of all surveys submitted for a specific Faculty Recruitment Request.
- The Affirmative Action Officer will utilize the applicants’ survey results to assist their departments with completing the Faculty Recruitment Experience Report (the report summarizes all details related to the faculty candidate search) and any additional reporting required by the Office of the Provost, the Office of the Vice President for Equity and Diversity, and UAB Human Resources.
- The Faculty Recruitment Experience Report is submitted to the Provost’s Office along with the Phase One/Candidate Offer Packet for review and approval. The formal offer should not be extended to the faculty candidate until the offer packet has been approved by the Provost (and/or university President). See Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process.
The Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey was designed to ensure that applicant survey results are handled and managed in a confidential manner; and that neither the results nor the applicant’s decision not to participate in the survey will in any way result in an adverse employment action by the university. To that end, please note the following:
- The survey results will be returned to the Affirmative Action Officers and not to the department administrator; and
- Search committees will not receive applicant self-identify survey information.
STEPS FOR COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING THE SURVEY REQUEST
(By Department Administrator or Affirmative Action Officer to initiate the survey request process):
- Access the blank form at: www.uab.edu/faasurvey;
- Select New Single Request; or Load Multiple Requests;
- Enter the Faculty Recruitment Request number that is associated with the applicant (s);
- Click “Load FRR Info” Button; this loads the FRR information into your request form;
- Select the Affirmative Action Officer for your college/school from the dropdown list;
- Enter the applicant’s email address (or enter multiple email addresses using the multiple request form);
- Click submit; or
- Click clear if you need to start over or would like to discontinue the submission process.
- The Affirmative Action Officer will receive notification (on a weekly basis) that a request(s) has been submitted for each applicant/candidate.
STEPS FOR COMPLETION AND SUBMISSION OF SURVEY (by the applicant)
- The applicant/candidate receives an email request from the Affirmative Action Officer (even if the process has been initiated by department administrator) to voluntary self-identify using the survey form.
- The applicant/candidate will complete the requested information (if they choose to participate in the survey); and hit submit;
- The applicant receives a confirmation email when the submission is complete, then;
- The Affirmative Action Officer receives confirmation and a report of each applicant/candidate’s survey results.
STEPS FOR RETRIEVING AND REPORTING APPLICANT SURVEY RESULTS
- The Affirmative Action Officer can review all applicant survey results by accessing the report from their dashboard.
- Access the dashboard at www.uab.edu/faasurvey
- Click on View Existing Records;
- Login to the Verification Screen;
- Choose “View Report” to see all of the data available for your organization; or
- Select from the various filtering options to review specific data.
TRAINING, HELP AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
In addition to the step-by-step guide provide in this tool, the Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey training module is available at: (insert powerpoint presentation).
General Process Questions should be directed to:
934-0513; or email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Questions should be directed to:
http://ask.it.uab.edu/; submit a new issue or chat with an agent
ASKIT Support – 205-996-5555
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I know when all applicants have responded to the survey for a specific FRR?
In most instances, all applicants will not respond to the self-identify survey request. Generally, once the final candidate has been identified; and the Faculty Recruitment Experience Report is ready for completion; you will use the applicant/candidate responses that have been received at that point.
Where do I locate the Faculty Recruitment Request (FRR) number?
The department administrator who submits the FRR maintains this information within their unit; the number is listed on the FRR form.
What if the Affirmative Action for my school/college changes?
The Faculty Affairs Office, in partnership with the Office of the Vice President for Equity and Diversity is responsible for maintaining a current list of Affirmative Action Officers; updating the “system’s” list as needed. If your Affirmative Action Officer(s) is listed incorrectly, please notify Faculty Affairs at 934-0513.
What happens if I enter an incorrect email address for an applicant?
The system will generate an error message asking you to supply the correct email address and resubmit your request.
How will the Affirmative Action Officer know when a request has been sent for an applicant(s)?
A weekly summary report will be generated and emailed to each Affirmative Action Officer (Sundays after midnight) which lists all applicant survey results that have been submitted to that point. As well, the AAO can retrieve applicant/candidate survey results at any time by logging in to their Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey dashboard.
What if we do not receive a survey response from an applicant(s)?
The applicant is invited to voluntarily respond to the survey to self-identify their race and gender. They may decline to do so. In that case, the Faculty Recruitment Experience Report is completed and submitted without the candidate’s information – race and gender would be noted as UNKNOWN. Please do not guess based on the candidate’s name, etc.
What if the applicant/candidate is a current UAB employee?
Please submit a request for the applicant/candidate to complete the survey, the same as we do for external applicants.
Can I submit more than one email/applicant self-identify request at one time?
Yes. The system offers a multiple request option in which multiple applicant/candidate names and email addresses can be uploaded from your Excel spreadsheet. This option eliminates the need to initiate separate survey requests for each candidate.