- Choose your courses wisely! Identify courses that both meet requirements and focus on topics of special interest to you.
- Engage in co-curricular activities (community service, social organizations, intramurals, etc.).
- Seek out undergraduate research experiences.
- Make an effort to get to know faculty!!!
- Cultivate a habit of reading national and international news. To get started, follow social media for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, TIME, BBC, etc.
- If invited, join Alpha Lambda Delta Freshman Honor Society and consider applying for a leadership position.
- Scholarships to consider: Critical Languages, Boren, US-UK Fulbright.
- Consider taking an advanced composition course or any other writing-intensive course. Learning to craft well-written essays is critical to securing fellowships and scholarships.
- Participate in academic engagement opportunities – service learning, study away, and undergraduate research (including NSF REU’s).
- Use your summers wisely!! Look for opportunities to continue strengthening your academic achievements and clarifying your career goals.
- Keep reading the news! Demonstrate an awareness of the world around you.
- Scholarships to consider: Goldwater, Critical Languages, Boren, Udall.
- Invest in leadership positions that reflect a depth of commitment to a particular cause or interest.
- Continue sharpening your writing skills, using your summers wisely, and participating in academic engagement.
- Look for opportunities to present your research or submit articles for publication.
- If invited, join honors societies like Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key, and Omicron Delta Kappa.
- Attend NIFS information sessions on the Marshall, Rhodes, and Fulbright.
- Scholarships to consider: Truman, Goldwater, Udall, Critical Languages, Boren. Preliminary interviews for the Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell held in spring of junior year.
- Finalize applications for the Rhodes*, Marshall*, or Mitchell*.
- Craft an excellent thesis or senior research project and seek publication or presentation.
- Consider spending a gap year or two engaged in public service through AmeriCorps, Teach for America, or Peace Corps.
- Other Scholarships to consider: Fulbright Research/Study Grants, Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship, Fulbright-Fogarty Public Health Awards, NSF Graduate Research Fellowships, NIH OxCam, Phi Kappa Phi Graduate Fellowship (institutional endorsement required), Alpha Lambda Delta Graduate Fellowships, etc.
*Note: These require institutional endorsement!