Students that choose to intern or perform research abroad during an academic semester must notify ISSS of their intentions and enroll full-time at UAB for the semester they will spend outside the US. However, students wishing to intern abroad during their vacation semester are not required to register full-time. Time abroad must be less than 5 months, and the student should enroll full time during the next available academic semester upon returning to the US. The F-1 visa will be invalid if a student is outside the US for more than five months.