F-1 and J-1 visa students maintaining lawful status are legally able to work on the UAB campus up to 20 hours per week during academic semesters and more than 20 hours during vacation semesters and breaks.

On-campus employment options include academic departments, the UAB Bookstore (inside Hill Student Center), the Campus Recreation Center, and on-campus cafeterias or restaurants that have contractual agreements with UAB to serve students (ex. The Commons, Starbucks, Panera Bread). Many businesses immediately surround the UAB campus, but because they have no contractual agreement to serve UAB students on campus, F-1 and J-1 students cannot work for them. If you are seeking employment and have questions about whether a job qualifies as on campus, please contact ISSS.

Please also know that spouses on F-2 visas cannot work in the US under any circumstance. J-2 dependents must apply for a work permit through USCIS to work either on or off the UAB campus.

Our office will not issue the letter necessary for you to apply for a Social Security number until AFTER the drop/add date each semester and AFTER your name appears on the report we receive from payroll indicating that you have an on-campus job offer.

You can read exactly what the US Social Security Administration says about international students and Social Security numbers here.