Subjects of Study

There is a wide range of courses available to take while studying abroad. Course selection varies by program. You may take core curriculum courses, courses for your major and minor, elective courses or a combination of all. Search for a particular academic field and explore the "Subjects of Study" box.

Explore Subjects of Study →

Selecting Courses for Your Study Abroad

Knowing how your credit will apply to your degree is essential. Education Abroad encourages you to start early, so that you can design your graduation plan appropriately.

School of Education Courses

Any education course(s) taken outside of the state of Alabama will transfer back as general elective credit. Students are strongly advised to speak with their School of Education Advisor before studying abroad to identify alternative courses they can take during a study abroad program or seek an appeals process with the state of Alabama Board of Education.

Course Approvals & Transfer

Bethany Bracker - Costa RicaThe course articulation is the process that determines the UAB equivalent for the foreign courses you will take. Course articulation is a vital component of planning your experience. This process starts when you submit a syllabus for each course you intend to take while abroad to the Office of Education Abroad. The Office of Education Abroad works with the UAB Registrar and department chairs to determine the UAB course that is equivalent to each of your intended courses. The course articulation process takes approximately one month to complete.

We highly recommended that you contact our Peer Ambassadors to begin the course articulation process as soon as you have begun the admissions process for your study abroad program. If you don't begin the articulation process prior to going abroad, you will not know-how, or if, your courses abroad will count toward completion of a UAB degree.

To see a list of international courses UAB students have already taken on a particular program and what the UAB course equivalents are for those courses, go to that program's webpage and click the "Sample Courses Approved for Previous UAB Students" near the top of each program brochure.

If you need help selecting courses to take abroad, please make an appointment to meet with the Office of Education Abroad Advisor.

Credit Posting

The process of grade posting varies depending on the program type:

UAB Exchanges

UAB Exchanges are programs the Office of Education Abroad has established an exchange agreement with a university abroad. You earn direct UAB course credit. On exchanges, you are usually mainstreamed into regular classes with the student body at their university abroad.

Learn More →

UAB Affiliate Programs

UAB Affiliate Programs are co-organized by the Office of Education Abroad in cooperation with an education abroad provider. You receive a transcript from the foreign university or U.S. university of record and have transfer credit appear on your UAB transcript. UAB affiliate programs include USAC, ISA, and CISAbroad programs.

Learn More →

UAB Faculty-Led Programs

UAB Faculty-Led Programs are UAB courses that are taught by UAB faculty and have a field component that takes place away from campus, usually outside of the United States. These programs are typically about 1-6 weeks in duration. The entire class, faculty leader and students, travel together. You earn direct UAB course credit.

Learn More →

UAB Internship/Practicum Courses Abroad

UAB Internship/Practicum Courses Abroad are UAB courses which involve an internship or practicum, allowing you to actually work abroad in a company or organization related to your area of study, and earn UAB course credit. You earn direct UAB course credit.

Learn More →

Credit Conversion

Foreign universities often use a different system of measuring course credit than UAB. As a result, foreign credits often do not equal the same number of credits as the same course at UAB. For example, most Western European countries use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), while UAB uses the U.S. semester credit hour (SCH) system. To convert ECTS credits into UAB credits, multiply the ECTS credits time 0.5 (or divide by half). Below is a guide to help translate common types of foreign credit into UAB credits.

Foreign CreditsUAB Credits
6 ECTS 3 US Credits
45 Contact Hours 3 US Credits
20 British Credits 5 US Credits
4.5 Australian Credits 3 US Credits

Grade Posting

All grades earned while abroad will be posted to your UAB transcript and included in GPA calculations. Grades will be transferred back as letter grades, meaning they will impact your GPA. In all cases, you must participate fully in all course activities and meet all stated course requirements. Auditing of any course abroad is not permitted.

If the transcripts are received from a foreign university, UAB follows the guidelines set by World Education Services to convert the foreign grade to a US equivalent grade. World Education Services is an internationally-recognized credential evaluation agency.

Study Abroad Indicator Class

All students studying abroad will be enrolled in a study abroad indicator class, INTL 100, that serves as a placeholder class while you are abroad. While you are abroad, the course will include full-time hours of non-billable credits. Once you are back and we have received your transcripts, the study abroad indicator class will be changed to 0 credit hours and a grade of P will be given. Please note that this is not your study abroad credit. You will earn a letter grade for your study abroad credit once your transcripts are received.

If you are planning on participating in a UAB exchange, the INTL 100 placeholder will be listed on your account for the full-time hours relevant to your particular exchange of billable credits.


Courses taken on UAB Exchanges, USAC programs, ISA programs, U.S. - UK Fulbright Commission Summer Institutes, U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship Program, Clinton Scholarship at the American University in Dubai, UAB Faculty-Led Programs, and UAB Internship/Practicum Courses Abroad will satisfy the UAB residency requirement. Contact the Office of Education Abroad Advisor to ensure your Graduation Planning System record is noted accordingly.

Individual UAB academic departments may have additional requirements. The residency requirement is listed in the UAB Undergraduate Catalog.

Courses taken on non-supported programs may not be used to satisfy the residency requirement.