UAB Payment Policies

Most universities require payment of tuition and fees at registration. UAB gives you this option but also offers alternatives.

Internal Payment Options

Payments can be made directly to UAB by cash, check, or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and Discover). Payment by mail should be directed to UAB Student Accounting Services; P.O. Box 1946; Birmingham, Alabama 35201-1946. Payments may be made in person in the Lister Hill Library, 1700 University Boulevard; in the student payment drop box located on the first floor of Lister Hill Library; or by credit card through ACCESS at 205-975-9600 or toll-free at 1-888-988-2567.

External Payment Options

UAB has arranged for our students to be eligible to use the financial planning experience and designated payment options offered through Tuition Management Services (TMS) and Sallie Mae. Each student can make prearranged plans with TMS or Sallie Mae to meet the published due dates for fall and spring semesters. The plans are based on 8 or 10 monthly advance payment schedules and provide an excellent way for students to establish a monthly budget for educational costs. For more information concerning the available plans, visit the web sites for Tuition Management Services or Sallie Mae.

Statement of Fees

A statement of fees is provided to each student at registration. Charges shown on that statement are based on the student’s status and courses as of the date of registration. School, classification, or course changes made after registration may result in additional charges. Credit for financial aid, external payment plans, UAB Educational Assistance benefits, or payments to be billed to a third-party vendor may not be reflected on the Statement of Fees printed at registration. However, even if you do not receive a statement, you are still responsible for payment by the deadlines. For information or clarification concerning the amount due, please call Student Accounting Services at 205-934-3570 or 1-888-255-8734.

Delinquency Policy

If any student has an unpaid financial obligation to UAB, all grades will be withheld and no transcripts will be issued for that student. Such a student will not be permitted to register at UAB again and all services will be withheld until the obligation is paid in full, at which time withheld grades will be reinstated. A debt to UAB is, of course, legally enforceable. To be fair to the overwhelming majority of students who honor their commitment, UAB’s policy is to pursue unpaid student debts vigorously by all legal means. (See the current class schedule for published delinquent fees.)—

Tuition Adjustment Policies

If you withdraw from a course (using the appropriate procedures) prior to the close of business on the published date for Last Day to Drop Without Paying Tuition and Fees, you will owe no tuition for that course. However, if you are still registered for a course at the close of business on the Last Day to Drop Without Paying Tuition and Fees, you must pay full tuition and fees for that course, even if you withdraw later. No refunds can be made unless a licensed physician certifies that a condition, which arose after the last day to withdraw, was of sufficient duration and severity to make it impossible for you to continue in the course. Students suspended for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for refunds or cancellation of charges due.

Withdrawals and Refunds

Students who wish to withdraw from courses for which they are registered must use the official procedures specified in the UAB Class Schedule, published each semester.

Mere failure to attend class does not constitute a drop or withdrawal. If the withdrawal form is received after the "Last Day to Withdraw Without Paying Full Tuition and Fees" (specified for each term in the UAB Class Schedule), full tuition and fees will be due for the courses from which the student withdraws.

Academic Common Market

The Academic Common Market is an interstate agreement among selected southern states for sharing academic programs at both the baccalaureate and graduate levels. Participating states are able to make arrangements for their residents who qualify for admission to enroll in specific programs in other states on an in-state tuition basis. Participating states are Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.

If you are not an Alabama resident and you wish to enroll at UAB as an Academic Common Market student, you must be accepted for admission into a UAB program to which your state has obtained access for its residents through the Academic Common Market coordinator in your home state.

Certification of eligibility must be received by the Graduate School before the first day of class in the initial semester of registration to obtain in-state tuition status for the entire program; otherwise, in-state tuition status will be awarded beginning with the semester following receipt of this certification.

To obtain the name and address of a state coordinator, contact the Graduate School, Room 103, Lister Hill Library, 1700 University Boulevard, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0013 (telephone 205-934-8227) or visit the Academic Common Market web site (

Financial Aid

Assistantships and Fellowships

The Graduate School realizes that pursuit of an advanced degree may involve financial strain. In many programs, graduate student awards are available in limited number in the form of assistantships (service required) or fellowships (no service required.)

Applications for assistantships or fellowships should be submitted to the director of the graduate program in which the student is, or plans to be, enrolled. Applications for minority fellowships are available in the Graduate School Office. The Graduate School also assists students in preparation of applications for extramural fellowships.

The university's Financial Aid Office administers traditional loan, grant, and work-study programs, and students in certain graduate programs may participate in UAB's Cooperative Education Program, combining their studies with paid work experiences. For information concerning these programs, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, Ground Floor, Lister Hill Library, 1700 University Blvd, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0013, 205-934-8223,

UAB Graduate Family Assistance Scholarship
Scholarship funds will be provided to graduate students who have family-related financial commitments that would, if not resolved, prevent them from enrolling in a degree-granting graduate program. ONLY INCOMING STUDENTS WHO ARE ALREADY ACCEPTED INTO A RESEARCH BASED DOCTORAL PROGRAM ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY


Any veteran who plans to enter UAB and who wishes to apply for financial assistance through the Department of Veterans Affairs should file an application with the UAB Office of Veterans Affairs. From six to eight weeks are required to secure proper processing of an application by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For information, contact the UAB Department of Veterans Affairs, Smolian International House, Rm. 233, 1600 10th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-1280, telephone 205-934-8115.