Well in advance of your intended graduation date, check with all members of your committee to determine their availability. (Remember that your committee members have numerous other obligations.) Discuss the date, time, and location for your defense and the date by which you are expected to submit a complete, error-free, paginated copy of your thesis or dissertation to each committee member. Also discuss with your committee what style guide they would like for you to follow and what arrangements they would like for you to make for having your work edited.
- No later than the end of the 3rd week of classes in the semester you intend to graduate (and before you request your approval form), submit your Application for Degree (see deadline dates).
- Schedule your public defense. Your public defense must be held no later than 30 days before graduation. (See deadline dates).
- Request your approval form - no later than 2 weeks before the final defense. This request must be submitted on line. The Approval form cannot be completed before your Application for Degree has been processed.
Ensure that all information on your approval form request is accurate. This form serves as official notification to the Graduate School of your public defense, and the information will be entered into the Graduate School Calendar of Events and into the Graduate School tabs on BlazerNET. You will also need to post fliers in your department announcing your public defense and handle any additional advertising required by your committee and/or department.
If any changes have occurred to your committee since its members were first approved at the time of your admission to candidacy, these changes must be submitted on the Change of Committee form before your approval forms can be created.
You will be notified via e-mail when your approval form is ready to be picked up. Contact Lori Naramore (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have not received notification within one week of your request.
- Pick up your approval forms in the Graduate School. Check that your title, your name, the program name, and the names of your committee members are all correct on the printed approval forms.
- After your defense, obtain the signatures of your committee members and your program director in blue or black ink on your approval form.
- All UAB Theses and Dissertations are submitted online as a single PDF file to the following web site: http://dissertations.umi.com/uab/
All applicable forms must be received before the thesis or dissertation will be reviewed. Click here to view the Thesis/Dissertation Submission Checklist
Click here for information about having your work edited.
If you need help with your PDF document, refer to the Frequently Asked Questions available at the ProQuest/UMI Web site: http://www.etdadmin.com/cgi-bin/main/faq?siteId=0#pdf.
You will be notified via email (usually within 5-7 days) when your review has been completed.
If you would like information on how to order bound copies of your thesis or dissertation for your own use, click here.
Requirements for graduation are considered to have been completed when
- The thesis/dissertation submission process is completed
- All grades have been cleared
- All outstanding fees have been paid
Until you have completed this process, the Graduate School cannot offer assurance to a third party (such as a prospective employer) that you have completed the degree.
Once the degree has been officially awarded, degree verification can be obtained through Student Clearinghouse (http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/). Official transcripts can be requested through the One Stop Student Services (934-4300 or http://www.uab.edu/onestop)
Note: Leaving the Birmingham area before the approval process is complete does not in any way alter these requirements or extend these deadlines.