MetricsUAB has implemented a number of projects to help save energy, money, and resources. Below are a sampling of some of the savings:
- In 2009, UAB recycled over 235 tons of paper and cardboard.
- By utilizing EnergyCAP to better coordinate building data, UAB Energy Management has spotted and recovered over $1.7 million in utility billing errors.
- Upgrading fluorescent lighting saves $26-$74 per year, per fixture. With over 8,000 fixtures upgraded, UAB is saving approximately $300,000 annually in electricity savings.
- Upgrading boilers with more efficient controls has resulted in savings of over $150,000 annually.
- Utlizing LED lamps in exit signs has resulted in savings of over $56,000 per year.
- More than 3,525 incandescent light bulbs have been replaced with compact fluorescent light bulbs, resulting in savings of over $60,000 annually.
UAB Monthly Recycling Report FY 2011-2012, through April 2012.
UAB collects and recycles over 2.2 million pounds of recycled materials, nearly 18% of everything collected, that would otherwise go to a landfill.