FY13 Compensation Guidelines
UAB Academic/Administrative Compensation Guidelines FY13
As we continue to assess how to best invest limited institutional resources, it is imperative that we implement and promote UAB-wide employee compensation practices that effectively support our most important asset: our workforce. To assist our academic and administrative units with these decisions, the following Compensation Guidelines are provided for the FY13 budget year:
- Faculty Promotions
- Faculty promotions should be funded if endorsed by the appropriate College/School, Dean, or Library Director
- Merit Increases
- There will be no general university pool for merit increases for FY13
- Schools/units may fund merit increases if funds are available
- Fixed Increment Payments (FIP)
- There will be no general university pool for FIP requests. Requests for FIPs will be considered for FY13 if school/unit has funding available. FIPs are one-time, non-recurring lump sum salary payments used in limited cases where an employee is at or above the pay range maximum and a merit-based payment is justified. FIPs may also be used to reward individual performance in unique or unusual significant special projects of limited duration that require extensive time and effort above and beyond regularly assigned job duties
- Note: a 12-month payment distribution schedule may be required for employees receiving FIPs that are funded on federally-sponsored projects.
- FIP requests must be submitted to the Provost/VPFAA no later than 7/16/2012 for FIPs to be effective 10/1/2012.
- Pay Ranges
- UAB General Pay Range Structure will remain at FY12 levels
- Faculty Pay Ranges will remain at FY12 levels
- Incentive Plans
- Previously-established compensation incentive plans must be submitted for recertification as required by existing UAB incentive program guidelines by 7/16/2012.
- New incentive plan proposals must be submitted by 7/16/2012 to be considered for implementation in FY13
- Please refer to the UAB incentive program guidelines for further information
- Lateral Transfers
- Salary adjustments for lateral transfers greater than 10% should be submitted/reviewed by HR with support/approval by the applicable College/School/Department VP, Dean, or Library Director. HR will review and submit to the appropriate UAB senior administrator (Provost/VPFAA) for final approval
- Internal salary equity concerns must be addressed appropriately before any lateral transfers are approved
- New Hires
- New hires may proceed in accordance with established UAB and departmental policies provided funding is available
- New hires do not require HR approval if within pay range.
- New Positions/Position Reclassifications
- New positions/reclassifications may be requested under established HR procedures. New positions/reclassification will be reviewed by HR Compensation to determine the appropriate job title for the position. These requests require approval from the applicable College/School/Department VP, Dean or Library Director.
- Position reclassifications that result in lateral transfers with increases of greater than 10% must be submitted to appropriate UAB senior administrator (Provost/VPFAA) for final approval.
- Position reclassifications that result in promotional increases of greater than 15% (if higher than range minimum) must be submitted to appropriate UAB senior administration (Provost/VPFAA) for approval.
- Internal salary equity concerns must be addressed before any reclassifications can be approved.
- Note: once a position has been reviewed for reclassification, it is not eligible for review again for a minimum of 12 months.
- Retention Salary Adjustments
- Retention salary adjustments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Initial review and approval is required from the College/School/Department VP, Dean, or Library Director. Once College/School/Department approval is obtained, departments should submit request and approval to HR. HR will review and submit to the appropriate UAB senior administrator (Provost/VPFAA) for final approval.
- Salary Adjustments
- Salary Adjustments for probationary, job rate and establish step rate programs (including graduate assistantships/stipend increases, resident progression and student salary adjustments) may proceed in accordance with established UAB and departmental policies provided funding is available. These adjustments must be funded by College/School/Department and approved by the appropriate VP, Dean or Library Director.
- Probationary increases of greater than 10% will be reviewed by HR and submitted to the appropriate UAB senior administrator (Provost/VPFAA) for final approval.
- Supplemental Duties – Additional Pay
- Requests for additional compensation for supplemental duties must be approved by the College/School/Unit VP, Dean, or Library Director prior to submission for HR review. All requests will go to Provost/VPFAA. Note: additional/supplemental duties should be temporary in nature (less than 6 months).
The following list summarizes the review and approval process for FY13 compensation actions:
VP/Dean/Library Director Approval only. Requires no review by HR:
- Graduate assistantship with annual stipend increase
- Lateral transfer with increase of 10% or less
- Merit increases
- New hire with proposed salary within the pay grade
- Probationary increase or 10% or less
- Resident progression increase
- Salary share adjustment between two or more funding sources where the total salary does not change (e.g. HSF/UAB/VA/UABHS)
- Staff promotion of 15% or less or to range minimum
- Student salary adjustment
VP/Dean/Library Director Approval after initial review/approval by HR:
- Requests for new positions
UAB senior administrator (Provost/VPFAA) approval after full HR review/approval and endorsement by appropriate VP/Dean/Director:
- Exceptional Performance Adjustments
- Faculty promotions
- Incentive Plans – new or previously approved
- Lateral transfers with increases of greater than 10%
- Probationary increase greater than 10%
- Retention salary adjustments
- Staff promotion greater than 15% if higher than range minimum
- Supplemental duties additional pay
Any questions or concerns regarding these guidelines should be directed to your HR Representative or HR Compensation.