WELLSCREENS 2017 is complete.
Employees who took advantage of the free onsite health screenings received a snapshot of their health status including blood pressure, total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, blood sugar, BMI, triglycerides and cholesterol ratio/cardiac risk numbers. UAB Employee Wellness wants to continue to empower employees to be their healthiest — so you don't just know your numbers, you know what to do about them.
WELLSCREENS Health Classes
UAB Employee Wellness is partnering with HealthSmart again to offer a series of targeted health programs focusing on diabetes, heart health and weight management. Classes will be held from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. at 419 A Medical Towers. Space is limited, so click on a link below to register and secure your spot. Registration will be closed once max capacity (50 people) is reached. All employees are welcome and encouraged to bring their lunch to class.
- May 4: Weight Management (Registration closed)
- May 11: Heart Health with Adam Britt
- May 18: Diabetes
- June 1: Weight Management with Anna Threadcraft
- June 8: Heart Health with Adam Britt
- June 15: Diabetes
- July 6: Weight Management with Anna Threadcraft
- July 13: Heart Health with Adam Britt
- July 20: Diabetes
Wellness after WELLSCREENS
Join the My Health Rewards program to not only view your WELLSCREENS results but also keep track of your behaviors and earn points to be entered into a sweepstakes for some amazing prizes. The program is free for all benefits eligible employees. In addition, My Health Rewards offers the following:
- Health-risk profile, which is an evaluation of your health-risk level
- Targeted health programs to help set and achieve goals
- The opportunity to receive a one-time savings on UAB health insurance premiums annually
More than 800 eligible UAB employees received up to a $150 one-time premium savings to offset the cost of their insurance premiums in 2016.
Benefit eligible employees* enrolled in an active UAB healthcare plan were eligible to earn $25 for each healthy or improved (from their 2016 WELLSCEENS appointment) metric, a one-time savings of up to $150 on UAB health insurance premiums. Employees who fell within a healthy range OR who demonstrated improvement from their 2016 biometric screening results may also have qualified.
Premium reduction incentives will be awarded after the conclusion of the 2017 WELLSCREENS campaign.
- Participants who could not meet the standards outlined by the program for medical reasons could qualify for a reasonable alternative and still have an opportunity to qualify for the reward.
- If you were unable to attend one of the screening events, you had the option to have the appropriate measures taken by your primary care physician using the Physician Fax Form.
Why Do WELLSCREENS Matter?
UAB complies with applicable federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. UAB cumple con las leyes federales de derechos civiles aplicables y no discrimina por motivos de raza, color, nacionalidad, edad, discapacidad o sexo. UAB 遵守適用的聯邦民權法律規定，不因種族、膚色、民族血統、年齡、殘障或性別而歧視任何人。
Celebrate Heart Month 2017 at UAB
February is American Heart Month, and UAB Medicine is celebrating with a series of events for employees. The list below highlights the events happening around campus!
Wear Red Day Photo Shoot
Friday, Feb. 3
On National Wear Red Day, join your co-workers for a group photo shoot to support the fight against heart disease in women:
- TKC 2nd floor by the staircase: 9 a.m.
- NP 1st floor lobby: 10 a.m.
- Avondale 720 1st floor lobby: 11:30 a.m.
- UAB Hospital-Highlands 1st floor lobby: 2 p.m.
Love Your Heart Table
Show your heart a little love! Visit the UAB Medicine Heart & Vascular Services information table for heart health education materials.
- Feb. 1: Administration Building 1st floor lobby: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Feb. 2: Avondale 720 Building 1st floor lobby: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Feb. 15: TKC 2nd floor lobby: 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Lunch and Learn: " Know Your Heart: The Importance of Cardiovascular Screening and Current Guidelines
Wednesday, Feb. 8
West Pavilion Boardroom: noon-12:45 p.m.
UAB Medicine Heart & Vascular nurse practitioner Lisa Findley, along with UAB employee and heart disease survivor Nancy Borkowski, discuss the importance of cardiovascular screenings and the current guidelines. Space is limited. Attendance and free Chick-fil-A lunches available to the first 35 attendees.
Simple Cooking with Heart
Wednesday, Feb. 22
North Pavilion 2nd Floor Atrium: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Sample delicious, heart-healthy recipes from the American Heart Association and take home a new UAB Medicine Heart & Vascular Services recipe booklet!
If you are interested in purchasing a 2017 Heart Walk T-Shirt, please contact Christy Underwood at 934-2351 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purchase a FITBIT
UA, UAB and UAH employees get preferred pricing on all Fitbit devices through the UA System Fitbit Program. Start tracking your fitness in three easy steps:
- Visit the storefront at fitbit.com/welcome/UASYSTEM.
- Enter your discount code, which is the word "blazer" followed by your unique BlazerID.
- Purchase the device of your choice.
Join the UA Dashboard
When you set up your new Fitbit device online, you will be prompted to join the UA System Dashboard and your exercise activity will sync automatically. All personal information (height, weight, GPS location) will not be shared with UA System — that information is confidential within your Fitbit consent.
Already have a Fitbit? Great! If you do not purchase a Fitbit device, you can still join the UA Dashboard and take part in system-wide wellness challenges. Register your current device with the UA System Fitbit Program to receive an email with a link that will allow you to join the UA Dashboard. Please allow 24-48 hours after registration for link to arrive.