Using the IITS, you may conference with any compressed digital video room(s), desktops or mobile devices in the world. For more information on IITS services or to schedule a meeting or class, visit http://.iits.uasystem.ua.edu or call IITS at 205-975-6854.
UAB faculty and staff have access to Microsoft Office 365 to download Office products such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint — and they can also use those applications in the cloud, where each user also has 1TB of storage in a OneDrive account. Individual file sizes are limited to 2GB. Note: Consult with your school or department IT support before installing Office 365 on your office computer because an Office volume license is available for on-campus use.
Should you not be able to find the answers you need through the links below, please contact AskIT.
OneDrive is only available for UAB campus faculty and staff; it is not currently available for UAB Medicine staff.
Install Office on your PC or Mac with Office 365 for Business
When you use the latest version of Office with Office 365 for business, you can edit and review Office files from virtually anywhere you can use your computer, mobile device, or web browser.
Depending on which type of Office 365 account you have, you can download the latest version of Office with Office 365.
To install the latest version of Office
Sign in to Office 365 by using your BlazerID.At the top right of the page, click Settings > Office 365 Settings.
On the Office page, select a Language, then click Install.
Note: Office installs the 32-bit version on your PC by default, even if your computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.
Watch this video to learn about using Office and Office Web Apps in Office 365.
Deactivate an installation on either a PC or a Mac
If you’ve already installed the latest version of Office with Office 365 on five computers that you use and you want to install Office on a sixth computer, you can do that by first deactivating an installation on one of your current computers.
Go to Software > Office. Click Deactivate next to the computer you want to deactivate the installation from.
Troubleshoot your Office installation
When you’re installing, you may get a "Something went wrong…” error. If you get a different error, see General troubleshooting for installing Office 2013 and Office 365.
You may have noticed that how you get the latest version of Office is different from previous versions of Office. The latest version of Office with Office 365 is offered as a subscription. Also, the Office applications are packaged together for faster download and installation. Once you’ve installed Office, you can delete the shortcuts to the programs that you don’t need. If you need to, you can run different versions of Office products, like Excel 2013 and Excel 2010, side-by-side on the same computer.
You can install the latest version of Office on up to five computers that you use. After you’ve completed the installation, make sure you have automatic updates turned on.
Depending on your operating system, here’s what Office includes:
Office on your PC includes Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word.
Office on your Mac includes Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word.
Also know that Mac users can install Lync separately.
Note: You can also install the latest version of Office on your Surface Pro. You'll have the same programs as Office on a PC.
Instructions for installing Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.25189 (Downloaded via Mac App Store)
Using the UAB WiFi Network
UAB IT provides a WiFi network in support of the academic, research, and administrative work of the UAB community. This WiFi network serves classrooms, common areas, green spaces, and many other popular areas around campus.
To use this network, you must have a device with a WiFi network adapter. Three WiFi networks are available:
- UABStartHere: Guests should use the UABStartHere network. Please be aware that this is not a secure network. Click here for instructions for logging in to UABStartHere as a guest.
- UABSecure: UAB students, employees and faculty members should use this secure network. Users must have a valid BlazerID and password, and have their WiFi device properly configured for this network. Instructions for configuring a WiFi device for UABSecure are listed below.
- eduroam: eduroam is a free WiFi service that allows users from participating universities to log into WiFi using their own university's credentials. UAB users can also log in to WiFi at participating universities with their BlazerIDs.
Issues with WiFi
If you have an issue with the UAB WiFi network please report those concerns to AskIT (firstname.lastname@example.org; www.uab.edu/askit; 205-996-5555)
Click here to access a list of Frequently Asked Questions about UAB WiFi in our IT Service Portal knowledge base.
UAB IT has contracted with InCommon to provide Comodo SSL server certificates for the uab.edu domain.
Any UAB department using a certificate ending in uab.edu can use the service at no cost. UAB IT pays a yearly fee that covers all certificates.
For regular SSL server certificates, the server administrator can order them here.
For wildcard certificates and multiple domain name certificates, the server administrator should send a request to AskIT with all of the details and a valid CSR (Certificate Signing Request), and the request will be routed through Data Security and the Unix team.
- 50 GB of e-mail space, an increase of 49 GB from the current service
- 25 GB of free file storage, an increase of 24 GB from the current service
- Access to Microsoft Office applications from laptops, tablets, and other mobile devices
- A single web interface to access all of the above features
Students who prefer to work offline will be able to download the Office applications and continue using their preferred e-mail clients.
We expect all students to be transitioned to the Office 365 service by June 30, 2014. For more information and how the transition will occur please visit our Office 365 for Students info page.
Desktop Web Conferencing
Cisco's WebEx conferencing product allows you to collaborate with colleagues across your organization, or halfway across the planet. You can meet online and share files, information, and expertise. WebEx solutions are meant to increase productivity while keeping you connected.
UAB has negotiated a master agreement with WebEx that allows UAB faculty and staff to subscribe to certain enterprise subscriptions. See the information below for details.
Ready to order?
- Contact the WebEx representative, Ryan J. Brown (615-324-4849) email@example.com or Evan Bearry firstname.lastname@example.org ( 904-996-1307),
- DO NOT order via the WebEx website.
- WebEx will provide you with a quote/order form via an email link.
- Click on the link to open the online agreement.
- Review the order form for accuracy and print the actual agreement for your records. CLICK OFF ON THE ELECTRONIC APPROVAL.
- Attach the printed copy as backup for any submissions to UAB Procurement for payment.
- No agreement needs to be routed for signature.
- Please reference Doc#44199-2 when submitting purchase order.
WebEx is a comprehensive suite of real-teim web collaboration services that enable organizations to increase reach, accelerate business processes and reduce costs. Learn more.
Share ideas online with anyone, anywhere. Learn more.