Do you use your laptop for UAB business?
Do you provide your own tech support?
Has your laptop been encrypted?
If you answered yes to the first two questions but have not encrypted your laptop, you are encouraged to take advantage of the options listed below to protect UAB data by encrypting your laptop.
HSIS Customers: Please contact the Health System Information Services (HSIS) Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-934-8888 for assistance with laptop encryption.
AskIT Customers: Please choose from the options listed below or contact the AskIT help desk at 205-996-5555 for assistance with laptop encryption.
Laptop Encryption Options:
Option 1 - Option 1 - Let Us Do It For You-!
This option requires that the laptop is dropped off at one of our locations for at least 1-2 business days. The following procedures will be performed on your machine:
- Backing up your data
- Verifying or installing antivirus software
- Updating antivirus definitions and scanning for viruses
- Scanning with hardware diagnostic software
- Installing operating system updates
- Defragmenting the hard drive
- Encrypting your laptop
Option 2 - Do It Yourself: "How-To" Documentation & Training Videos
This is a do it yourself option. Please refer to the documentation and training videos on the following topics for information on how to configure and encrypt laptop computers.
- How to create a strong password
- How to configure your laptop
- How to scan for missing patches
- How to update applications
- How to install OS updates
- How to install antivirus
- How to backup your machine
- How to defragment your hard drive
- How to run SpinRite hardware diagnostic software
- How to encrypt your laptop
Please feel free to contact us with any questions through our help desk, AskIT, by email or phone at 205-996-5555.