A Medical Leave of Absence of up to 16 work weeks is available to eligible employees for a serious health condition of the employee that makes the employee unable to work.
For eligible assignment categories, click here. (You and UAB Section 4.13)
- The employee must apply for a Medical Leave of Absence through his or her supervisor or department head
- All Medical Leave of Absences must be approved through UAB Employee Health Services before submitting a Medical Leave of Absence ACT document.
For more information about Medical Leaves of Absences and required forms, click here.
Information you need to know before creating an MLOA with pay or without pay document:
- Begin and end date of the approved medical leave of absence.
- Amount of Accrued Benefit Timethe employee has available.
Biweekly paid employees - accrual balances can be viewed in the Administrative System using the "View Biweekly Accrual Balances" menu option. For instructions on how to view the View Biweekly Accrual Balances, click here.
Monthly paid employees - accrual time balances are monitored on the departmental level; monthly paid employee accrual balances are not maintained or monitored in the Administrative System.
- During a medical leave of absence accrued sick leave, personal holiday and vacation time must be paid through standard payroll procedures before an employee can be placed in a "non-paid" status.
- Begin and end date of any portion of the medical leave of absence to be without pay.
Documentation has been developed to assist end users in processing Medical Leave of Absence documents; you may access the training documentation by clicking on the appropriate link.