May I request a Domain Name such as ""

Faculty, staff and students who are involved in professional, academic, or student-social organizations are sometimes interested in hosting a web site for their group and want to use a domain name that does not end in


UAB cannot provide DNS (Domain Name) service for domains other than However, what we can do is register an on-campus server with a name, and then you can arrange for an outside Internet Service Provider (ISP) to provide the name and point it to your UAB server. The end result is that someone who types the URL into their web browser will be taken to the organization's home page, which may happen to be sitting on a computer housed at UAB. Most ISP's charge a small fee for providing you with this service.

Contact the UAB Web Center for further details about this type of arrangement.

Last modified on July 22, 2013